May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today we spent the morning presenting our finds of 1 of our biggest land-owners & handing over some of it. After this, Cru'dad split off to present another lot of finds to another owner & Land-Mag & I started our Archie Dig.
This dig is privately funded by us & is in collaboration with the Archies (all Amateurs like me) & it is building on previous work;
Geophysical Surveys both Mag. & Res.
Gridded Field Walked Pottery Plots
Our Metal Detecting Survey/data since 2009.

This test trench is to build a further case for more work, if it's as important as we suspect. Today was purely taking off the top soil & the real work will start tomorrow, so I'll update later. Although we have already come down onto a hard-packed Roman demolition layer, which we hope hides a floor underneath.:dontknow:

Whilst I was waiting for the digger, I did a couple of grass digs & got 2 Roman Coins in a 1 hour hunt.

When Cru'dad joined us later from the other farm he had hunted a Roman/Saxon Site (very low yield one) for 1.5 hrs & had nothing until he was OTWBTTC.:laughing7: Even funnier the Roman Siliqua of Valens (one we need, Rome mint), was found because after digging a large bit of lead, outside of the normal spread of coins, he did a little circle around it & thought, this sounds good, maybe its more lead, or maybe not....:thumbsup: (talk about flukey)

Attachments

• VH Trench.JPG
    VH Trench.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 116
  • VH Trench2.JPG
    VH Trench2.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 92
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 100
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Upvote 29

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yes, very cool stuff

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a fun project. Congrats on your finds!

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with your dig! Hope you find what is expected. And congrats to Crudad! A bit damage, but Silver is Silver!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with your dig! Hope you find what is expected. And congrats to Crudad! A bit damage, but Silver is Silver!
We don't want to over hype it, so fingers crossed.

Cru'dads silver makes 34, our best ever year.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice stuff! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think just one of those coins and Id be happy for life.. Thanks for posting em and good luck my Friends, Tommy

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just love to screen that trench for you. Look forward to see what shows up:thumbsup:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats and thanks for the great narrative as usual. Keep us posted. Hopefully your research and hard digging will be worthwhile.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is nothing amateur about your work, or your results. In fact, your efforts rise above, say, a team of university archies, in that you share all of your historic finds with the rest of us! Thank you.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is nothing amateur about your work, or your results. In fact, your efforts rise above, say, a team of university archies, in that you share all of your historic finds with the rest of us! Thank you.
Thanks, although these results are a combination of great team-work which is us all playing off our strengths, mine is mostly speed detecting & finds identification (plus sniffing out the best area). Cru'dad does all the heavy lifting with the recording & Land-Mag pulls together the researching/permission/networking angle. Its like the 3 sides of the Fire Triangle, it only takes 1 of them to be taken away for the fire to go out.(& yes we are on Fire):thumbsup:

Good point on sharing though as many things do just get stored away out of site.

Last edited:

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When Cru'dad joined us later from the other farm he had hunted a Roman/Saxon Site (very low yield one) for 1.5 hrs & had nothing until he was OTWBTTC.:laughing7:
ROFLMFAO!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread