fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our Daughter & future Son-in-law sent my wife & I Amtrak tickets to come visit them in Northern PA.
We left on the first of Oct, & stayed gone eight days.
We left from Little Rock Ar, went through St. Louis, Chicago, & ended up in Buffalo, (they met us there), then we spent the
day at Niagara Falls & Canada.
They work in Montrose Pa, & his 'old stomping grounds' are just over in NY state.
They took us all over the area, State Parks, Syracuse, Ithica, up into the Adirondacks, the Herkimer diamond mines, we saw
quaint little villages, & some beautiful country, (found a few small Herkimers), he also took me to a shale pit where we found a
few small Trilobites. (fossils)
The stone walls in the area are (Pa Bluestone), thin pieces of stone perfect for stacking.
You folks up there sure have some beautiful country, & I hope to visit again someday.
My computer has been down, but thanks to this great couple, (they sent me a refurbished one), I am now back in action.

Fossis..................

Attachments

• ny trip 037.JPG
    ny trip 037.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 527
  • ny trip 049.JPG
    ny trip 049.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 497
  • ny trip 030.JPG
    ny trip 030.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 507
  • ny trip 046.JPG
    ny trip 046.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 518
  • ny trip 033.JPG
    ny trip 033.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 523
  • ny trip 029.JPG
    ny trip 029.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 518
  • ny trip 006.JPG
    ny trip 006.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 522
  • ny trip 002.JPG
    ny trip 002.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 524
  • ny trip 001.JPG
    ny trip 001.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 519

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carl, great pics I bet you all had a blast. You did see some beautiful sites, do you have more?

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Fossis,

Great pics! Thanks for posting.

We loved Niagara, did it several years ago :o

We've done quite a bit of upstate NY. We loved the St. Lawrence seaway trip 3 years ago.
And had some good luck at the Herkimer diamond mine. Found 1 perfect one in mine #1, then hit a great little pocket in mine #2.
Did you see the museum upstairs in the jewelry store?

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evy.......
We sure did enjoy the trip, hope to go back someday & spend more time, so much we didn't see yet.
I'll try & put up a few more, kinda rusty, & this system is different from my old one.
Ashleen ........
Yes it is georgeous country, we saw some folks from a Maryland rock club that found some good Herkimers, but we really didn't
have that much time, & no I didn't get up to see the museum.
Yarrum........
Glad to share with you.

Attachments

• ny trip 026.JPG
    ny trip 026.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 451
  • ny trip 013.JPG
    ny trip 013.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 462
  • ny trip 025.JPG
    ny trip 025.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 443
  • ny trip 009.JPG
    ny trip 009.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 445
  • ny trip 008.JPG
    ny trip 008.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 415
OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Scotto

Fossis....................

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, looks like a nice trip fossis. I lived near Ithaca for a while as a kid. (Trumansburg to be exact) Lots of memories there. Thanks for the post

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker said:
Yep, looks like a nice trip fossis. I lived near Ithaca for a while as a kid. (Trumansburg to be exact) Lots of memories there. Thanks for the post

You're welcome, they even drove us by the old (gun factory) in Ithica.
I remember going thru Trumansburg.
Fossis................

fish4walleye

Greenie
May 27, 2008
upstate,NY
" they live in montrose,but old stompin grounds just over border into NY" hmm,maybe I know him am just north of Susquehanna,Pa.,love all the areas you travelled to.went to Herkimer twice this past summer with small finds

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fossis, my grandfather and my great grandfather both worked for the Ithaca Gun Co. Together they made one of the first single-trigger, double-barreled 12 gauges to come out of there. One of the barrels was modified and it fired first, the second barrel was a full choke and fired second with the thinking being, if you missed the first shot, the target is now farther away and requires a fuller choke to reach it. It had some neat checkering on the stock and they engraved geese on the sides of the gun. They "obtained" it and it got passed down to my father. When my father passed away, it got passed down to my older brother. My brother didn't have any sons and his daughter wasn't interested in hunting so my brother passed it down to one of my sons. A few years after my son got it, his house was robbed and that shotgun was one of the items stolen. Thanks for making me think of that again. >:(..............lol. Anyway, none of the family knows about the stolen shotgun except my other sons. (The first time I fired it I was about 8 years old, I think, at my Grandpa's house in Spencer, NY.

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fish4walleye said:
" they live in montrose,but old stompin grounds just over border into NY" hmm,maybe I know him am just north of Susquehanna,Pa.,love all the areas you travelled to.went to Herkimer twice this past summer with small finds

We needed bigger tools at the mines, maybe a large sledge & crowbars. ;D

Fossis................

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker said:
fossis, my grandfather and my great grandfather both worked for the Ithaca Gun Co. Together they made one of the first single-trigger, double-barreled 12 gauges to come out of there. One of the barrels was modified and it fired first, the second barrel was a full choke and fired second with the thinking being, if you missed the first shot, the target is now farther away and requires a fuller choke to reach it. It had some neat checkering on the stock and they engraved geese on the sides of the gun. They "obtained" it and it got passed down to my father. When my father passed away, it got passed down to my older brother. My brother didn't have any sons and his daughter wasn't interested in hunting so my brother passed it down to one of my sons. A few years after my son got it, his house was robbed and that shotgun was one of the items stolen. Thanks for making me think of that again. >:(..............lol. Anyway, none of the family knows about the stolen shotgun except my other sons. (The first time I fired it I was about 8 years old, I think, at my Grandpa's house in Spencer, NY.

What some 'great history', I have owned an Ithica before years ago, loved those old fancy engravings.
So sad the world has thieves, (sorry for your lost treasure), I had a 10 year collection of old bottles, Indian Artifacts, stolen,
plus a $1,000.00 bill (Confederate) , listed at the time for $600.00- $1,000.00, this was 30 some years ago.

Fossis...............

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
"We needed bigger tools at the mines."

Ha! Ha!

Fossis, that is almost always the way it goes!
(Well, if you're lucky!)

Best,
rmptr

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
Very cool trip and thanks for posting up the journey pics.

Niagara Falls is on my list of places to see.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
What an incredible trip! Beautiful pictures and I am oh so very glad you posted them! Glad you had a good time!

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shaw said:
Very cool trip and thanks for posting up the journey pics.

Niagara Falls is on my list of places to see.

You're very welcome, glad to share.

Fossis................

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread