Out bidded

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes you get outbidded by a "shill" and they will auction it off again when more activity is present and the price is what they want to sell it for. Your better off spending the extra money and buying new or someone else will detect your secret spot.

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Yup, either someone was bumping up the bid price or be on the lookout here for a new post about someone's new machine.

ROFL

China-Clipper

Greenie
Feb 23, 2007
Lebanon, Connecticut, USA
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI, DFX, 6000 PRO XL, Classic I & III, and Excaliber 1000
I hate to admit it, but I do that all the time...it's call "sniping." I have two clocks sychronized to eBay's clock and I usually submit back-to-back bids (3 to 4 of them) starting 5 seconds before the auction ends and the bids are about 1-2 seconds apart. I rarely lose an auction; the secret is to bid late to not run up the price and then bid higher than you want to own something for in your last increment bid. I usually win my auctions in the last three seconds. It does tend to p_ss off some people though. I got my Excal 1000 two months old on eBay for $835, they're up there all the time, good luck! I hope you get one, I really am happy with mine. Found these two rings yesterday in 4 feet of surf.

Attachments

• 03-25-07 3-diamond gold ring.JPG
    03-25-07 3-diamond gold ring.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 443
  • 03-25-07 Gold Men\'s Wedding Band.JPG
    03-25-07 Gold Men\'s Wedding Band.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 444

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spez401,

SSShhhhh, your giving away my secret. ;D

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I win a lot on eBay and if I'm targetting a specific item like Excalibur, I know exactly how much I'm willing to spend. When I get down to the last minute then I'll bid at least $100 over the last bid as many bidders are nickle and dimers. I got a brand new Pentax point and shoot camera that retails for $300 for $20 and a nearly new Minelab XT18000 for $400 and a Garrett AT-3 for $150.00. Just have to be determined to win those bids.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Zoot,

EBay stop being fun for me many years ago. It is simply an auction to me now, I win some I lose some.

I use to go to Indian artifact auctions in Missouri as I am a collector. I would lose a lot of items I really wanted to get because of bidders who had endless funds. If your bidding against a collector who also happens to be a Doctor, your going to lose. No matter what my bid was they would bump it $50 instantly.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
Ebay USED to be a great place to find rare stuff, or even common stuff cheap. But, like everything else it has become far more commercialized. Just look at all the "ebay stores". And, more importantly, so many people use it, that others have tried (and found) ways to beat the system.

I still find decent deals on ebay. But knowing how the system (and the people who use it) works, is definitely helpful. Knowing how to win an item is very important. I picked up an excal 800 about 2 months ago on ebay - for just over 500 (526 i think). It is in perfect shape.

steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread