• GEDC0054.JPG
    GEDC0054.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 173
Upvote 4

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know,I have never thought of hitting the blackberry briars here around my area,I bet i could find alot of stuff there.Seems like common sense to look there but,,,,,for w/e reason the idea had eluded me until i saw this post.Thank you for sharing!!!Nice finds!!

HH John

OP
OP
The Rebel

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know,I have never thought of hitting the blackberry briars here around my area,I bet i could find alot of stuff there.Seems like common sense to look there but,,,,,for w/e reason the idea had eluded me until i saw this post.Thank you for sharing!!!Nice finds!!

HH John

Well just be sure there is a cellar hole if you do go, LOL here is one in there but you can't see it in my pic's.

Hey Rebel,

Is this Pat. Nov 27, 1883? Clasp, I think. Is this it? Patent US289153 - CLASP - Google Patents

Yes it is THANKS!

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great spot there.not the briars though.ouch.great finds.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some very interesting finds in a somewhat 'ugly area'! Up in Washington State and on an island my girl friend asked if I could get rid of some blackberry bushes that were slowly but surely covering the entire place. the back 1.5 acres was completely covered.

Normal weed whacker gadgets will not take on Blackberry bushes! If you own a Stihl or a good Husky then they have some reasonable steel blades that will work. This little bottom end weed eater didn't. I made a spacer where the I.D. matched the shaft on the weed eater and the O.D. matched the I.D. of an 18 tooth carbide Black & Decker 7 1/4" wood saw blade. The spacer needs to be a very close match to I.D.'s and O.D.'s otherwise the blade will wobble and that is dangerous! In addition I purchased a fender washer that held the blade and spacer in place and with the standard weed whacker nut it held all down real well. I made certain that the blade I purchased allowed me to keep the safety guard on the weed whacker. I am not saying this is safe to do but I used the rig for about two weeks straight on an average of about 5.5 hours a day. After I hit a few rocks the blade started to dull a little so I replaced it with a 24 tooth carbide blade. The nut never came loose and for the first three days I checked it about every hour, it was always tight.

The method of cutting is to start at the top of the bush and cut 12" sections. If you do this gathering them up is quite easy and you never have a 10' long tentacle wrap around your head and neck as that is what happens when you start at the bottom of the BB bush. Anyone using this thing must understand it is a very dangerous tool! You must always have the blade out in front of you and never get it close to your legs or feet. Wearing some sort of safety leggings and toe covers is a wise choice!

Cut awhile and then clean up awhile and take a rest break.

Anyway, using one of these cutters you could "recover" say 10' x 10' area, detect it and move on. Mind you, this is work but your area looks virgin and it could be worth the effort.

As a parting note, if you choose to use the method above be careful as at high revs the blade will cut your leg off in about 2 seconds! At lower revs it will just make a very deep gash but down to the bone!

Safe hunting................63bkpkr

(Oh, in my two weeks of work I cleared about an acre of ground of the blackberry bushes. Needless to say I was looked upon with very loving eyes! Her Mom & Dad even took a liking to me after they saw all the work I'd done.)

OP
OP
The Rebel

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tip 63bkpkr. Unfortunately this is a town park. If I was going to clear it, I think a flame thrower would be the best choice :laughing7:.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Rebel,
I've always wondered what "Parks" looked like in other states and now I know what they look like in CT! I guess maybe they figured everything else was mostly houses so they kept a few patches as parks but just let them grow wild. Interesting.

All fun aside, that is one bad place to detect but as your determination has shown there are good finds in there.

Good Luck,.................63bkpkr "Have Weed Whacker, Will Travel" Paladin

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are cool finds.

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Rebel,
I've always wondered what "Parks" looked like in other states and now I know what they look like in CT! I guess maybe they figured everything else was mostly houses so they kept a few patches as parks but just let them grow wild. Interesting.

All fun aside, that is one bad place to detect but as your determination has shown there are good finds in there.

LOL!! @ PALADINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN ,good one man!!! Gave me a chuckle :icon_thumright:

Did you at least run your detector through there after all that hard work?

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucky, that's one heck of a question to ask me now that I'm long gone from that area. I was so dead tired that going back out there to swing the detector with the same arms I'd been using all day long to swing the weed whacker NEVER occurred to me. Where were you and your question in 2002?! DARN!...................63bkpkr another revoltin development

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CoinFetcher,
That was Whidbey on the ocean side of Deception Pass. Nice place, a bit noisy when the Navy jets are flying with very calm living around Coupville..............63bkpkr

OP
OP
The Rebel

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Rebel,

Actually, I stand corrected. it's a nature preserve with hiking trails but in a very well to do area. My arms sure were sore getting the MD caught up in the briars. Where's Briar Rabbit & Briar Fox when you need um....

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CoinFetcher,
That was Whidbey on the ocean side of Deception Pass. Nice place, a bit noisy when the Navy jets are flying with very calm living around Coupville..............63bkpkr

Neat - I grew up a stones throw from Deception Pass.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread