tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit an arc during the rush hour traffic in the metro yesterday. I checked all the jewelry in the cases. Saw some ok priced sterling, but didn't buy any. Went through all the Bric-a-brac, nothing there. So I checked the glass and spotted some Waterford lismore sherbet champagne stems. 6 of them for $1.29 each. I'll take these up to the local antique shop and ask $60 for the set and she'll offer $50.I hope. I don't like selling these kind of things on eBay anymore, because one time I sold two glasses once and the buyer sent me a picture of a big scratch on one saying I misrepresented my listing. They were perfect when I sent them and there was no big scratch on what I sent, so I know he had one with a scratch and wanted to hook me into settling with him. His suggestion was I credit him for the one piece out of the two. That's what I did because I didn't want to take them back, because he would have just sent me his scratched piece. He was dishonest, but I knew he had me, so no more selling sets of Waterford on eBay for me. I'll just make a quick profit on these and go look for more treasure with that money.

Attachments

• IMG_20190816_062953416.jpg
    IMG_20190816_062953416.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20190816_062843185.jpg
    IMG_20190816_062843185.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 55

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear that person did that to you, nice score though...maybe you can put hidden marks on stuff that are able to be removed without scratching the pieces.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats bad ive had people do even worse lie lie and lie some more, i offer to take back like they ask then they say no ill keep it and then give me a negative and ebay backs them and not me when i say ill take it back just sad

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find. There is a special place for people who operate like that. I hope.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear that person did that to you, nice score though...maybe you can put hidden marks on stuff that are able to be removed without scratching the pieces.
I thought of that very thing. Maybe a tiny little x etched on the bottom seen only with a loupe and as soon as I see the conniver has sent it out, then inform them of that mark that I'll have previously photo'd telling them if that mark is not on it they'll, be no refund and they'll need to send me the shipping cost before I send back the bogus item. Thing is if I did do something like that it still be me in the wrong in the eyes of eBay. They protect those kind of chumps regardless of the situation. eBay doesn't stick up for sellers anymore. I just don't get that, as where in the heck do they think their revenue really comes from.

Last edited:

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought of that very thing. Maybe a tiny little x etched on the bottom seen only with a loupe and as soon as I see the conniver has sent it out, then inform them of that mark that I'll have previously photo'd telling them if that mark is not on it they'll, be no refund and they'll need to send me the shipping cost before I send back the bogus item. Thing is if I did do something like that it still be me in the wrong in the eyes of eBay. They protect those kind of chumps regardless of the situation. eBay doesn't stick up for sellers anymore. I just don't get that, as where in the heck do they think their revenue really comes from.

Hmm. Just a question because I like to come up with solutions but.... if you were to have a really powerful camera to photograph small details in a piece would you still be in the wrong? Even if you were to warn potential buyers of the documentation precautions you have taken?

Forgive me if I sound ignorant with how EBAY works because I have never purchased or sold on it. I’m sort of intimidated.

What I’m thinking is each piece has its own “fingerprint”

I have a great idea for this really good camera as well....if you care to hear...may even be able to find one at a garage sale or thrift shop!

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I guess your right to say that almost everything would have it's very minut specific details, but overall most people are honest and accepting about buying things that are used, but it seems to me these glass, pottery and ceramic buyers are in a different league of wanting perfection, so I normally don't buy much in the way of those kinda things to sell, unless it's something like these I could easily triple my money on. If I really wanna photo something tiny, I just hold a jeweler's loupe in front of the lens of my smartphone. It works pretty good on very small things.

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds good, still a shame people do that. Happy hunting

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds! :occasion14:

Many people are not honorable and unfortunately we end up "footing" the bill.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread