Outer Banks Archaeology Digs

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hey Ya'll....some of this is old news, but some is new. I posted a link to The Lost Colony Center for Science and Research. Fred Willard is one of the folks that contacted my hubby back in 1998 to have Dr. David Phelps do a dig on his property. Now Fred, who went to ECU (East Carolina University) to study archaeology, now heads this center. Anyways, their link is posted here: http://www.lost-colony.com/

It will keep you as uptodate as possible on the current research being done on the Lost Colony. It really is exciting to be a part of this, indirectly!

I am attaching some photos I finally put on this PC of some of the finds they dug up on my hubbys property back in 1998. This small portion of land my hubby owns, he inherited when his father was killed in a construction accident in 1972. This is a very small portion that was owned by hubby's 5th and 6th great grandfathers. Infact, his family is known to have formed what is now the U.S. Coast Guard....they were all involved in the Lifesaving Service on the Outer Banks and several of his relatives, including a great something grandfather, were awarded medals for heroism....anyways....

My reason for posting this (and I hope I have posted in the correct topic section, if not, please be so kind as to place it where it needs to be! Thank You!)....

Hubby was recently contacted by Dr. Charles Ewen, Professor of the Dept of Anthropology and Director of ECU's Archaeology Laboratories, about the Museum of History in Raleigh (NC) designing an exhibit around the loan of several of John White's paintings from the British Museum.

These paintings are some of the ones John White did while he was at the Roanoke Colony in 1584 and 1587.

The museum plans to accompany the exhibit concerning the surroundings of the Lost Colony, while they have these paintings on loan.

They (the museum) have contacted Dr. Ewen and have asked if some of the artifacts found on my hubby's property by Dr. Phelps could be on loan to the museum for their exhibit. Of course, hubby has already given his consent (as that is his desire, to make the public aware of the history and let them enjoy the beauty of these finds).

From his email, he said they want the items on loan from Sept 2007 through February 2008.

BTW, ECU is the curator of hubby's artifacts.

To give you as quick a run down as possible of the items found on his property, here's a list:

Prehistoric sherds, Red Ochre, Historic pipe stem, metal fragments, shells (scallop, snail, oyster, conch, clam, calcine), clear glass jar, brick rubble, blue glass bottle, pipe bowl and stem fragment, bone (human tooth), gun flints, Jasper pebbles, core & spalls, faunal remains, Jasper/Flint spalls, decorative metal tack (I would guess this is more recent LOL), metal knife blade fragment, Quartzite hammerstone, Gun spall, Human remains (1 ind.), biface scraper, shattered flakes, weave mat fragment, shell bead, brass ornament, Fe nail, bone rings (I have a pic of those made into a bracelet, so cool!), Brass leather clasp/button, soil samples, Quartz secondary flake, Ornate brass pin, bone pin, Glass Seed Beads, Roanoke Triangular Point (have no idea what this is), Prehistoric Pipe Bowl Fragment, Pb Shot/Droppings, Historical Gold Signet Ring, Burnt Clay, Faunal remains, UID Rock, ....just to name some of the items they have listed. Alot of this I really don't understand....

This is from a 25 page list of items, which list approx 60 items per page that gives the Specimon Number and the Provenience (Location of the find), how many of that item and the description of the item.

I also imprinted on the pics of what they were so as to not leave you in the dark....enjoy!!

And if ya'll are in the Raleigh area and hear of the exhibit of John White and the Lost Colony....check it out and check out the ring...so awesome!!!! We plan to go check out the exhibit once we get word it's all on display and ready for viewing!!!

Attachments

• b rings 1b.jpg
    b rings 1b.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 411
  • lead 1b.jpg
    lead 1b.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 385
  • gun lock 1b.jpg
    gun lock 1b.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 402
  • farthings 1b.jpg
    farthings 1b.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 391
  • copper figure 1b.jpg
    copper figure 1b.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 380
  • copper beads 1b.jpg
    copper beads 1b.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 376
  • c vessel 1b.jpg
    c vessel 1b.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 409
  • buttons 1b.jpg
    buttons 1b.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 410
  • bale seal c ii 1b.jpg
    bale seal c ii 1b.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 425
OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
The rest of the photos....

Attachments

• tubular 1b.jpg
    tubular 1b.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 397
  • kendall ring 1b.jpg
    kendall ring 1b.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 423

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Yo! ;D FINALLY found your "thread"... well done & carry on, I "see" a NEW book from you pp in N.C. on this... Do a web-site first... then "book" on CD, to be "shown' to various publishers... would be a WONDERFUL ECU "continuing education" project of a "historic nature"... ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions