Outer Banks NC Nags to Corrola

cage228

Jan 3, 2009
Just curious anyone know of any very recent action in the area. Good recent cuts, erosion, etc, etc tips?. Any particular beach's that have been fruitful lately. Possibilty of going for a few days this week. I do realize this is the time of year that the beachs are starting to load back up with sand. Also that my question is a shot in the dark.lol. But they say the only dumb question is the one thats never asked.

Many Thx in Advance to all ! Good Luck to All !

Upvote 0

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I doubt you will see that question answered on a forum for 500 local hunters to see and 1/2 of them show up to hunt that beach tomorrow.

Good luck on your trip.

Chuck

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
I went to Corrola two weeks ago just to break out my fisher CZ 6a and hunt the sand. This has been one of my favorite beaches to hunt. All the hot rocks drive most detectors crazy. Found I could hunt holding the pinpoint button and it would ignore the hot rocks. First time I went there I found seven rings and $42.50 in quarters along with a bunch of change. My best one day total so far.....back to two weeks ago. The city had brought in sand for the beach and it looked like a road. Packed so hard that if someone dropped anything on it, it would not sink. Kind of like a parking lot. I hope they don't do that all the time. First time I ever hunted four hours and found nothing but some wire. I came home and immediately ordered a whites surfmaster dual frequency machine. They can't run their sand machines in the water and most of the good gold is there anyway. Hope this is some help. Don't know if you are a sand or water hunter.

JoelB

Sep 20, 2010
Love the OBX!!! I go down there for two weeks in the fall and one week in January. On the last 2 visits I pounded the beaches hard. I use an excal and an e-trac. The fall hunt was disappointing as I found about 5 dollars in change with approx. 30 hours of hunting time in. The winter was no different. Too much sand when I was there--however I did find a small gold/diamond chip ring in front of the Cavalier hotel (MP8). I hunted everywhere---in front of condo's, beach access parking areas, near the piers----all dismal results. I met a fellow who is a local hunter that told me the same thing I am telling you--very limited. There was a storm in Nov/Dec-- it brought a lot of shells etc.. up on the beach--and there were some goodies found. Hopefully you will do better. I was told that the best chance of shipwreck coins is a mile on either side of the Corolla lighthouse. There are limited targets on the beach so dig it all. The biggest nuisance is dune fence wire. Try to use as little (or none) disc. for greater depth. Good luck and let us know how you do---maybe you can give me a tip or two after your hunt. Respond back on this thread so I do not miss your reply.

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Joelb. Were you hunting in the water too? Either way that ring had to make up for a lot of dissapointment...tried my duel freqency at a local swimming hole and wrightsville beach this week. Corola water temp is still to cold. I am extremely impressed with this machine. Four hours of nonstop digging at both places. Lots of change, especially nickles, lots of hair pins, and small wire. But my biceps will be hugh by fall. I dug so many deep holes. No jewelry yet, but it will come quickly, maybe this week when I get off work.

JoelB

Sep 20, 2010
Search/Recovery------ Ankle deep water only--But hit low tide areas hard. Thinking of a PI for myself also. Leaning towards cz-21. Keep me posted how well your whites does. You can PM me anytime. Thanks

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Cage. I didn't mean to step on any toes. Just kind of got into a side subject with JoelB. Great question, sorry I couldn't help on the positive side. I was always a sand hunter until ,last week. I am excited about the waterhunting and really like how little trash you have to dig in the water. Right now the water is too cold in corola(51.5 degrees) and surrounding area for swimmers. I would go south to at least topsail beach or wrightsville beach (water temp. 72.2 degrees). More beach goers and more swimmers. As far as reading the cuts and troughs, I could use a lot more experience in that. Post back on this thread and let us know how you do. It's a hundred mile drive for me to get to nags head, but I will go whenever the fishing or detecting bug bites. Good hunting. :icon_thumleft:

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the best of it was in nov.......since them.........nothing........and that is nothing with a Large N

joelb...........u will not like any PI on the o b x............

u just remember u heard it first.......f y i only

OP
OP
C

cage228

Jan 3, 2009
Many Thx for the input Chuck, JB, S&R and G-Digger. S&R never a problem not stepping on my toes learning is what its all about. Flop but wx, sites-sounds, beach, ocean very nice, always. Corolla 100 yds n-s of light wet sand fence wire thats it. Avalon peir sand halfway up steps leading to beach. General area 2 hrs one pull tab, many nails, one dime, (wet sand to ankle deep).
Not in vain got to use my new balanced shaft excal. Don't know how I worked in/out of water without it 5+ years. Look forward to catching up with you guys on the beach one day. Good Luck to All and Take Care---------cage

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Cage, went to wrightville beach yesterday. Hunted from one hour before low tide until about ten hours later. Water was warm ( over 75 degrees) but wind was cool. Nobody swimming. My whites dual frequency found very few coins and lots of wire and fish hooks. As the tide rose I used my fisher CZ6a in the dry sand and picked up around five dollars in change and one hoop ear ring. Keep me posted on the excalibur, I may eventually buy one anyway. Hunting the beaches will get better as the summer weather gets here.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am thinking about renting a house on the beach there in Oct. Hope there are better results in the fall..

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Birdman. Not to worry. More people as the summer wears on and less sand on the beach. Things only get better for the beach and water hunters. I will probably run into you on the beach. PM me a couple of weeks before you go and I will try to get there for a hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread