OuterBanks NC

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Go where the people go. Start with the beach that has the largest parking lot, preferably close to resorts. Google Earth is a good tool for finding those types of beaches when you do not live in the area. Also research the Chamber of Commerce to see what is on their web site for beaches. Many people will vacation where the Chamber recommends. Do not count on recommendations from the internet, many will not give up a productive beach and may often send you in the other direction.

OP
OP
C

CaptSamobx

Feb 7, 2011
THANKS for the help.....the chamber of Commerce are the ones that told me you are not allowed pat Whalebone Junction...Park Property

JoelB

Sep 20, 2010
I wish I had better news for you about the Outer Banks. I was down in Oct. and hunted for 25-30 hours and found $3.60 in change along with no bling. They say that the beach erodes from Oct. to March and then re-builds during the summer months---well I figured that was the reason for few finds. I went back for a solid week of metal detecting in January and the first day I found a small 10k wedding band with 6 diamond chips---great start--but after that it was very bleak. Hopefully a good storm will hit before you get there. I spoke to a well known local metal detectorist--Ray Midgett--when I was there and he also said that this year was not too productive. From my research and hunting this is what know. The places I hunted from South Nags Head up to mile post 1 were all basically the same (as far as production goes). I hunted in front of Condos, at public beach access points, at hotels, and even in front of million dollar beach houses--and found a dime here and a penny there. Word has it that your best chance of finding old shipwreck coins is to hunt 2 miles north or south of the Corolla Lighthouse. You can drive on to the beach (4wd) without a permit up there. I really believe the ticket is a good nor'easter to move some sand off the beach and also being in the right spot at the right time!! By the way I use a Minelab Excal II and an etrac and most of my targets were in the 8-14 inch range. Due to there not being much trash on these beaches I would strongly recommend using very little discrimination. About the only nuisance target down there is dune fence wire and a few nails. Please let us know how you do---best of luck!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions