Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a good idea as to where the house stood and where the privy should be, you can still locate it with a probe.

OP
OP
Prairie Prowler

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will try that... thanx..just wondering if anyone else has tried this in a plowed field..

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will try that... thanx..just wondering if anyone else has tried this in a plowed field..

It's something I am trying to try out. It's hard to find a time when my particular field is in between crops AND not mud or ice.

bottles10

May 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garriet
in plowed field look for scattered trash on top where plow has turned it over. then look for the most trash and probe around that area

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in plowed field look for scattered trash on top where plow has turned it over. then look for the most trash and probe around that area

And look for chunks of brick

OP
OP
Prairie Prowler

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx for the tips ....Im a newbie at finding these Out house pits ...probably should've started searching years ago for them!!..

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. If I could go back in time I would have one heck of a collection

Last edited:

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
finding home sit's in a plowed filed is e-z , it's trying to find the out house which is hard . I once found a town dump in a plowed filed . but had to what until the corn was up until I got in there to dig it. once I filed in my hole I replaced the corn stocks .

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
finding home sit's in a plowed filed is e-z , it's trying to find the out house which is hard . I once found a town dump in a plowed filed . but had to what until the corn was up until I got in there to dig it. once I filed in my hole I replaced the corn stocks .

I'm a little disturbed. Somebody is growing corn on a dump? SMH

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Are you being serious or joking? You have no emoticons so I cant tell.

If you are serious, I think you are confusing a modern dump with something 100+ years old which has no biological material left.

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
====================================================================
Oh my yes,,, they do out where we l;ive.
One of the city dumps from Carlisle is located right up the road from me.
They capped with 2 feet of clay and soil and started farming it.
Now this is old time trash,,, not so much of the toxic junk that is in new landfills.
You can walk the edges and see lots of glass and pottery. Maybe this summer I will ask if I can dig a small pit just to check it out.
The landowner knows what is there so I don't think he would mind, Just make sure all is back when you are done.

coloradocav1

Jan 4, 2016
colorado
Detector(s) used
mxt
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
accidently found a trash while detecting at fort sedgewick colorado, in the tilled cornfield years ago. noticed the soil in one spot had lots of sand, the river is about a quarter mile away. got a large iron reading deep in the sandy soil. the metal signal was a cool stove door with a lion head on it. OMG The bottles, two American life log cabin bitters, 2 and1/2 threadless transcontinental insulators! that small pit netted $10,000!. Though I wish I would have kept just one. I hunt many other forts in tilled fields and its extremely hard to find a pit. Believe it or not I started goofing with a dowsing rod last fall, no privy yet but I dowsed numerous trash pits full of wagon parts from the Oregon trail, look for areas with lots of broken glass, china, square nails. other than that its just luck in a plowed field. Unless you can afford a gpr! good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread