Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I know this does not belong in the "Today's Finds" forum, but it needs to be seen by as many people as possible before it is too late.

I had an appointment earlier today to meet with a regional magazine that is doing a story about metal detecting. Although I have a very busy work schedule I agreed to give them 30 minutes of my time. I thought a good place to meet in case they wanted some photos would be a county park.

I was appalled and embarrassed by what I saw as the interviewer and I walked along the highly traveled walking path. There were hundreds of unfilled holes along the path, some only a few inches deep, others deeper than 8 inches! In 10 years of detecting I have never seen such a mess.

It is no wonder that more and more municipalities are banning metal detecting. This person shows total disregard not only for his fellow metal detecting enthusiasts, but for the property of others.

There was a park police about 100 feet away from where I was standing, but bringing it to their attention would only have a detrimental affect.

If this person reads this forum, I would recommend they turn themselves in for the vandalism caused to the park. Unfortunately I was in dress shoes and slacks, otherwise I would have filled in the holes myself.

I don’t blame this on the “reality” TV shows, but I think internet sales has a lot to do with it. Online orderding bypasses the speech we all got when buying metal detectors about filling our holes, asking for permission, the Code of Ethics, etc.

All it takes is one complaint about holes in the parks and it will be time to hang up all of our detectors in the shed for good!

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
What park was it. Why so outraged. It's tv shows , detector forums and such that help promote it. There are guys that do this for money it's not their hobby. Some folks just plain suck Neil. Been that way from the first of man.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sure they weren't caused by coons, they dig holes for grubs. happens here a lot. I had park rangers tell me the ones I found were when I told them they were not my holes when ranger walked up and started talking to me.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sure they weren't caused by coons, they dig holes for grubs. happens here a lot. I had park rangers tell me the ones I found were when I told them they were not my holes when ranger walked up and started talking to me.
Everytime I hunt in a park I fill in squirrel holes so I dont get blamed.

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd have to say, that only the dumbest of the dumb would do something like that. Some animals make a very convincing plug look alike. A few years ago I thought someone had done the same thing, only to witness a raccoon digging them. Squirrels also dig holes, however they are usually only 2 - 3 inches round. Saw hundreds of them today while scouting some wooded spots. Bigger grey squirrels likely would dig bigger holes than our little red squirrels here.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coons holes I found were the same size holes you would dig when detecting, there were dozens and dozens of them all over, I thought "what the heck?" The ranger walked up and told me they were coon holes and not to worry, they were not blaming them on detectors or me....

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The big question is whether the magazine will run with this unexpected scoop and totally flip something that you thought would be positive.

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Down here in Florida we suffer from armadillos digging all sizes of holes. You would think there were metal detector people not filling in their holes. And add squirrels and racoons digging. And the feral pigs just tear your property up completely.

DeadElvis

Apr 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Down here in Florida we suffer from armadillos digging all sizes of holes. You would think there were metal detector people not filling in their holes. And add squirrels and racoons digging. And the feral pigs just tear your property up completely.

Armadillos are the worst, and disgusting creatures to boot. An interesting thing I read is that they rarely survive getting run over because they instinctively jump when startled and wind up struck by a vehicle as opposed to being rolled over. I've always heard them called "possum on a half-shell".

That might be a good angle when asking permission to hunt though - "I make no holes bigger than a squirrel, only I refill them".

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've said the same thing times on similar post, it could be animals and in many cases it is.

That being said....

I think it's high time we take the fight to those little critters anyway, and teach them a lesson for perhaps trying to ruin this hobby. I say to arms and end the nonsense. I know Monty has the squirrel population single-handedly in check. Now we need a small army to tackle those nasty masked bandits :headbang: :laughing7:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a plot of land i keep mowed in back of my house.. I live in the country and a lot of woods around............ And i have Coons & Skunks that dig holes there like that there......

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I was told by a member of our club that a couple of young "punks" were spotted with metal detectors there. Critters dig holes, they don't cut around a circumference and flip over a plug.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Neil in West Jersey said:
I was told by a member of our club that a couple of young "punks" were spotted with metal detectors there. Critters dig holes, they don't cut around a circumference and flip over a plug.

Yep. Rotten punks. Well at least they aren't in front of the tube playing video games or worse.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I learned the hard way that racoons will also come along at night and re-dig holes that I dug and filled in. After detecting my parents property I got a call from my Father the next morning telling me to get over there and fill in all those holes I left in the back yard. I most certainly filled them in the day before but when I got over there sure enough the back yard looked like a war zone.

It took me awhile to figure out what had happen but after setting a live trap and catching and relocating racoons for the next week the problem was solved. I'm not saying thats what happened there but I know it does happen. As far as punks getting parks declared off limits to detecting...it happen here. Some bozo was using a folding army shovel to dig basketball sized holes and killing the grass. Some people just don't get it.

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No matter how the holes got there,it still looks bad and you know the normal joe will blame that on a MDer.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hard to take that one. It is simply common sense to respect others property. No special skills are needed to understand that we need to leave things in better shape than we found them. It is a no brainer that when a hole is dug, you should at least fill it back in. Even the new reality shows discuss disgruntled land owners expressing their frustrations about leaving the land in better shape than when the excavators did before the loaders leave...It is just simple ethics we were taught as children.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions