Overlays in Google Earth

Jul 11, 2008
Neosho,Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac ,Tesoro cibola
This is what i have been experimenting with!
Tested also!
Ok,first i looked on google earth,found an area i wanted to investigate,in this case,a public conservation hunting area open to the public.approximately,two and a half miles long,and two miles wide.
Next i go to terraserver usa and find it as a topo map,Hmmm,shows no houses on the property.
ok,now i get on the net and look for old plat maps,and topo maps,aha i find plat maps dating back into the 1800's for the county im looking at.i pick one in 1914. find the area i need and use a screen capture tool to just get the area i need,once done i place the image as an overlay on google earth.
next it is moved to approximate location,and use the stretch and rotate tool on the overlay to line up landmarks,roads,anything that matches on the two maps.
also changed from lat,long-to utm which is what i use on my gps-on Google Earth.it is very accurate on there.now that i have my overlay on there i look,wow,there were 37 houses on the area in 1914,i marked everyone of them.tested one and found an old homesite place,was old flower types and plants there,stuck around long enough to find a 1944 wheat penny,and noticed i was covered in seed ticks,well i now have a LOT of places to look in that area but i think i'll wait until it frosts.
this is just an example of what anyone can do .
Have fun!

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do the same but I use Sanborn maps and Google earth. It is very effective.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't think I was so puter illiterate..but what do you use as a "screen capture" tool?

The problem I'm having saving maps and trying to use them in Google Earth Overlays is when I open the file...it shrinks and trying to stretch it, it becomes very distorted.

I've stopped the auto resizing so when I click on the file, it opens large, but it still shrinks in GE.

I hope I'm explaining this well enough.

You know how you open a file and you move your cursor to the bottom right corner and click that hamburger looking thing to make it bigger?
How to I get that larger size in GE and not the smaller image?

Al

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well...figured it out with paint as a capture program...but thanks anyhow...

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread