Overlooked button, Maybe Civil War era?

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Hey all,,,
I just got back from a cold, & windy hunt. Didn't find anything but a few pieces of old sqaure nails.? :'(
But Last night, I was going through my desk drawer, I throw a lot of different junk in there..., and found a button that I thought was just one of those caps to hold a little red wagon wheel, or the back tire of a tricycle, on to the axle. Turns out to maybe be from the civil war era. The back is in pretty bad shape, so I can't tell if there's a backmark, or not... Going to try and clean it up a bit more...
I think it's the same as the one in the third pic down on this site, " Coat Staff, Officer", item #: BN186AEJJ...
http://www.greybirdrelics.com/Buttons.htm

I thought I'd post this to remind everyone to re-check your finds before actually getting rid of them, you may have missed something, like I evidently did... It's not in too good of condition, but I figure it will look pretty good along side others in a display case some day...
Good luck all, & Happy hunting~

Attachments

• SmallEagle.jpg
    SmallEagle.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 268
Upvote 0

northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE
Nice.that seems to happen allot.Put something away.Go back way down the road and say wait a minute.I was going through my clad one winter.You know see if maybe i missed something.After going almost half way through it all i grab a dime that was real dirty.Wouldn't you know it silver.Made for a good winter day.

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find,
I'm not sure if it's just like the one in the picture but I'm sure I see an eagle..................................

Good Eye

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you didn't toss that one out Leon! It is a very good idea to look twice on those finds that you are going to throw out.

You never know!!!

Great save!

;)

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a civil war Button , it looks like a New York but I can't see enough detail to be sure.....I;m gonna have to go check my junk drawer!!!!! :D

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Hey, Thanks all,,,
Had to put the cleaning on hold. We're out of olive oil, can't imagine were all of that would have gone.... ::)
I'll post an update when I get it cleaned up, hopefully I can find something on it to help on the ID...
Good luck, & happy hunting~

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Leon, first you got to find it, then you got to discover it! Looks like an old button to me! HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions