Overseas muzzle loader help

Feb 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have a customer that wanted some info regarding this piece and all i can come up with is everything but this gun. it has a lions head cap at the end of the handle grip and mother of pearl lining the stock and the only numbers or words i see is 1833 thats it. can anyone help me out as to who made this like what company and any shots on value? posting pics now.
looks to be about 15 inches long from handle to end of barrrel. barrel hole opening is 1 and 3/4 inch diameter. image (5).JPG image (1).JPG image (6)1.JPG image (2).JPG image (3).JPG image (9).JPG

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Looks like a Turkish Flintlock Blunderbuss. You have to be careful - a lot of those Flintlock Blunderbuss type firearms with the exaggerated funnel-muzzles were to be a eye-catchers to the tourist trade. The screws don't look really old - not sure. Until a member pipes in with more information - you might consider taking it to a local gun shop for information...

mattyb

Jun 4, 2010
Monterey, CA
I saw very similar pieces, if not identical as bring back/home decor pieces being sold to soldiers in Afghanistan. some were made by cutting down old snyders or other percussion rifles. I believe this one was fabricated in a workshop in Pakistan or Afghanistan to look like flintlock and would believe the age is much newer, but has been left out over a summer to age and used a porous steel (most often scrap or railroad lines). I could be wrong and it may be an authentic blunderbuss decorated in the mid 1800s, but the flintlock looks of poor/rough construction, no proof marks or maker identification, just a date and the fact I saw a lot very similar ones with identical inlays makes me suspicious. It is hard to tell without hands on though. If the inlay is camel bone, ivory, abalone, mother of pearl, opposed to plastic it would maybe give a little more credibility. Heating the end of a needle and pressing against, if it sinks in it is plastic, if not something else. I agree with vonavy that the screws for the butt-cap look modern. This could be a Khyber Pass knockoff but I hope it is real, ask if it was a bring home from Afghanistan by someone.

Matt

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread