brute1a.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 2,761

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold-digger I sent you a private message.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used many different scoops myself. The best in my oppion is The Stealth by Sunspot Products. It has a big basket of stainless steel and the handle floats upright if you let go of it. Course in the surf you don't want to let go of it. http://www.sunspotedm.com/beachscoops/ This basket works well in all bottom conditions from shells to muck.

HH,
Sandman

Attachments

• STEALTH SCOOP (WinCE).jpg
    STEALTH SCOOP (WinCE).jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 2,965
  • STEALTH SCOOP (WinCE).jpg
    STEALTH SCOOP (WinCE).jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 2,966

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
this is a heavy scoop, about 6.5 pounds but it wont break, cost me 180.00...The Scoop is Stainless Steel and is 12.5" long and 6" in diameter. The scoop's handle is 48" long and is 1.25" Stainless Steel.

Attachments

• BchScp2.jpg
    BchScp2.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 2,576
  • bchscp3.jpg
    bchscp3.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 2,524

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skalleewag,

Isn't it kinda hard when you have to keep sticking your head underwater to scoop the signal?? LOL ;D

OP
OP
philbees

philbees

Greenie
Feb 15, 2006
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab Exp II
I ended up buying the 6.5 pound scoop. Does a great job digging, but it's a workout carring it around. I need to lighten it up, cut off the handle and try to fit it with a carbon fiber handle. Anybody out there know where I can buy a four foot around 1 1/2 inch D carbon fiber pole?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure the fiber handle would be strong enough to take any of the wear you'd give a scoop handle. But anything to make these scoops lighter would be nice.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put a lot of torque on my shovel handle when I am digging, have a big scoop, I don't think a fiber handle would work, afraid it would bend, but if you find it works let us know.

I try to get to the beach 3 hours before low tide and then when I am working the beach in front of the timeshares and not in the water yet I just let it drag behind me from a lanyard cord. It marks where I just finished walking as it leaves a good line in the sand and I move over for my next search path. I pattern search the beach from dry sand to the water line and even in the shallow water I can still see the line long enough to move over for my next path. ------ When it gets close to low tide time is when I move out to deeper water to search the sandbar and behind it.

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
make yourself a dragger and drag that scoop

Attachments

• timdrag1.jpg
    timdrag1.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 2,138
  • timdrag1.jpg
    timdrag1.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 2,136

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
if i put mine on belt like you Max my pants would fall down,and we dont want that.i put a dog snap in top of handle and clip it to my belt and drag it behind me!

Attachments

• scoop2_344.jpg
    scoop2_344.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 2,146
  • scoop2_344.jpg
    scoop2_344.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 2,145

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dixie

this picture is one where i am using my old S/S scoop, this baby is like 8lbs. i have had it for a very long time and after i started using the belt dragger i had to add should straps so it would not pull my pants down. u can see the harness rig i use now.

harness rig works ok

Attachments

• max.jpg
    max.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 2,085
OP
OP
philbees

philbees

Greenie
Feb 15, 2006
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab Exp II
I used a weight lifting belt along with a claw hammer holder to carry the weight. Sawed the hammer holder in half and bent both ends up. Costs a couple of bucks and works well. The handle drags in back of me leaving a trail. Even with this little helper a 3 hour day can be gruelling. As for the carbon fiber...I hate the thought of cutting the SS handle off to lighten it up and find out fiber doesn't work!
Thanks for all you tips and pics, this is a great site. Keeps me motivated to get out there and dig.
phil

Attachments

• Beach scoop 004a.jpg
    Beach scoop 004a.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 2,046
  • Beach scoop 003a.jpg
    Beach scoop 003a.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 2,069

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
philbees

man oh man i love it

that was my first dragger tooo

i cut off one of the pieces

then i found nice plastic barrell and started using them

A N D I MUST SAY U HAVE A NICE "BEACHCOMBER SCOOP" THERE TOOOOO - THE BEST AROUND RIGHT NOW

MAX

Attachments

• SCOOP1.jpg
    SCOOP1.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,975
  • SCOOP3.jpg
    SCOOP3.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,965
  • YELLOW 3.jpg
    YELLOW 3.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,931
  • SMALL DRAGGER.jpg
    SMALL DRAGGER.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 1,917
OP
OP
philbees

philbees

Greenie
Feb 15, 2006
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab Exp II
Max,
Thanks again for the pics, I thought I had an original idea with the hammer holder...not by a longshot.
I always look forward to seeing your summer pics of your finds and especially the pics of your diggers.
phil

Wilcoy02

Dec 19, 2006
I also have a heavy scoop. To make it lighter in the water I got one of those pool noodles and slipped it over the handle. I push it down to the scoop and the scoop floats behind you. When I go to dig a target it slips up to the top of the handle and the top of the handle floats so no more looking for my scoop on the bottom. The NOODLE makes it a whole lot lighter to hunt a lot longer.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Max, thanks for the pictures of the scoop holders. I always drag mine since I am always using it, but this also gets the scoop out of the way of the coil.

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sandman

i have been dragging mine a long time, by now i have it down to a science

i can grab it, spin it all around toss it up in the air, catch it, spin it, hook it, .....................kinda like dr. holiday did in the movie tomestone with the liquor cup.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread