• Neb token (Large) (Medium).jpg
    Neb token (Large) (Medium).jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 225

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
The 2009 Nebraska token book lists a number of tokens from Overton, but not this one. It will be interesting to see what it brings.
John in ID

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Only thing I have is I found a James M. Warner on the 1900 census in Overton, Neb. He is listed as a Proprietor of a Mill & Elevator. He is aged 53, his wife Ann is 47 and son William J. is 13. There is only one other Warner family in Overton in that census and it is Frank Warner, aged 23 and his wife Edith. He is listed as a Farmer. I do think Frank Warner is another son of James M. Warner.

I couldn't find any of them in Overton in the 1910 census. I did find an obit for Edith Warner in the Ogden, Utah newspaper in 1953. It said she had lived married Frank in Overton in 1898 and had lived in Riverdale for 44 years.

OP
OP
nova

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks,
folks.

Here is another scan after a tumbling. (6 hours)

Attachments

• Neb token 002 (Small).jpg
    Neb token 002 (Small).jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 190
  • Neb token 003 (Small).jpg
    Neb token 003 (Small).jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 188

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
One of the authors of the NE token book informs me that he has found Warner & Son general merchandise listed in 1904-05 directories.
John in ID

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Dave--and in answer to the other part of your question - what it books for - the NE book gives neither rarity or prices. The hobby of token collecting is not as well-developed as that of collecting US coins and there are way fewer collectors. So the prices one can expect to get for a token often depends on whether a piece is offered to the right collectors at the right time. It really takes at least two competing collectors who want the piece to drive the price up. To find those collectors, you have to find the venue where they are both looking at the same time. This can be a major token show - the NTCA one is coming up over Labor Day weekend at Fargo, ND, for instance - or you can use eBay for probably even wider exposure. Another factor is the popularity of the state. An "unlisted" merchant from Utah will bring more than an equivalent piece from Nebraska now. This popularity changes over time, but in general, tokens from west of the Rockies command higher prices than those from east of the Rockies.
John in ID

OP
OP
nova

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John,
I appreciate all your wealth of knowledge on tokens. This token /tag thread wouldn't be the same with out ya.

Dave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread