beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds. Someone on here will most likely be able to help you pretty closely date the bb gun part.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I dont think you have an oxen show there,the oxen shoes ive found from the early 1700s are different.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
great finds, the stories these things could tell

OP
OP
winslow

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
I dont think you have an oxen show there,the oxen shoes ive found from the early 1700s are different.

This one is from late 1800's. A current blacksmith that shoes horses identified it for me. Of course he could be wrong.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok.... so now I'm confused. I find so many horseshoes on this old road behind my house. Many of them come up "whole" and many other times I'd only find a half a horseshoe. And the "other" half was somehow just gone. Then someone said the "halves" I'm finding were probably oxen shoes (case solved). But the halves I find look just like a half of a horseshoe not like the pic above or even close. I'm with Red above.... mine aren't close. Where's the holes for the nails in the above oxen shoe? Probably just filled in with rust I'm assuming.

QUESTION: Can horseshoes be somewhat dated? Or were they likely just locally made by a blacksmith with everybody's a little different?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Very different feet between cows and horses. The two piece for oxen make sense as does the single for horses. The wide rear helps protect wider rear of foot where weight is on oxen. Shoes worn through enough to separate on a horse might be possible,I never seen it, but something to avoid. Don,t want problems!No foot ,no horse.Better to pull the shoes than risk splitting a hoof. Wear around fastening nails and growth in other areas require shoe replacement as well. A healthy hoofed horse not on hard surfaces can within reason go without shoes. Not an pulling oxen without problems.
Some confusion can occur with corrective or custom shoes.But always consider foot shape,single or cloven. 8-)https://www.google.com/search?q=cor...BBc-myASi-oDABA&ved=0CBwQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=643

Warning, there are horse shoe pics mixed in with oxen. Very different from each other though.

https://www.google.com/search?q=oxe...NCsW2yATDuoDYBw&ved=0CBwQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=643

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread