Padres Lost Silver Bars

OP
OP
L

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
I do not know if the original document still exists.

The map illustration that I posted was copied from a sketch made by Gladwell Richardson from the original map. In 1902, Jose Chavez was picked up by the police in Kansas City only a few days after he arrived from Albuquerque, NM. He stated that he no next of kin. He was taken to a hospital charity ward. Chavez was suffering from severe pneumonia. After only a couple of days he realized that he was dying. He called his nurse who took constant care of him and held out a vellum sheet about nine by eleven inches. He told her, "This map reveals where great wealth in silver bars is hidden in Arizona." He went on to say, "Never could find them, and now there is no manana for me. Perhaps you will be more lucky than I." He then requested a priest for last rites. He was buried in a potter's field.

The middle aged nurse did not consider the map to be valuable and kept it as a souvenir. One day a staff doctor saw the map. The nurse explained how she got it. Among the doctor's friends, he knew a Professor that was a linguist and had knowledge of the Spanish language. He translated what appeared to be a day by day account of a mule train of Padres and Soldiers that were transporting a shipment of silver bars. The train was savagely attacked multiple times by Indians. His English translation of the words on the document:
12 de Julio. Sought refuge in Pass of the Mogollones. Mules overladen with silver bars.
13 de Julio. Savages attacked in great force. 8 guards slain. 2 mules killed. The silver had to be packed on remaining 14.
14 de Julio. Traveled 8 leagues along deep canyon. Mules to weak to proceed. Food supply gone. Encountered friendly Indians at this camp.
15 de Julio. Marched northward 4 leagues where canyon joined another. Friendly Indians led us to water.
16 de Julio. Friendly band departed during the night. Under constant attack. 2 soldier slain.
17 de Julio. Camped in edge of Sierra de St. Francis. Impossible for mules to carry silver longer. This day under hourly assault.
18 de Julio. Crossed Indian farms to this place.Unable to continue bearing silver bars which were buried at base of ledge. Five will attempt escape southwest. Five will go east using mules for travel.

The final entry in the document was in different writing. It said, "Frs. set forth southeast with 3 soldiers praying to reach ......... (unreadible) We remaining five set forth for Santa Fe de San Francisco to decoy Indians from Frs. From my hand D. Silva, soldier of the province.

The rude map was on the back side of the sheet. From the fold it appeared that it had been cut from a journal. The map showed a Spanish "S" and "E". Near a cross had been printed, "96 bars of silver."

No action was taken by the Nurse, Doctor, and Professor to find the cache until 1909. They traveled to Flagstaff and sought local help. Unknown to them at the time was that Spanish armor and a crucifix had been found at the junction of Hennessy Canyon and Young's Canyon. History reveals that in 1538, Antonio de Espekuo's expedition on the return to Mexico from N. Arizona discovered Canyon Diablo. This date was too early to relate to the Spanish armor which was dated to be from the 1700s. Historians changed the name of Hennesssey Canyon to Padre Canyon. Ben Doney was hired as a guide to assist them in searching for the silver. Doney seemed to be taking the group everywhere but to the best locations to search, and they did not trust him. In 1910, a cowboy by the name of Jack Diamond discovered that a bar discovered by a local sheepherder was not iron, but a 64 pound ingot of silver. It was found at the Eagle Rock Nest in Bonito Park. The bar changed hands and was sold to Alf Dickinson, owner of the Pine Hotel in downtown Flagstaff.

The three treasure hunters returned to Flagstaff in 1911 and hired George McCormick to be their guide. McCormick and his son, Melvin, acted as guides until WWI. It is unknown if George retained the map, but much later the McCormicks began their search using a metal detector. They received a tip from a Pot Hunter about relics he found in Chavez Pass, which the McCormicks felt confident was the Pass of Mogollons. Rusted pieces had been found there in a mass grave of eight men.

Doney had spread the word about the silver bar that had been found. Jim Coleman followed the natural trail that had been mapped out by the McCormicks, and located the bashed in skull in the lava beds near Sunset Crater. Along with the skull he found pieces of old garment and a Spanish sword. McCormicks were now sure that they were on the right track. A notation on the corner of the map said, "6 leagues from mountain to burial." A league could vary from two and a half miles to four and a half miles, and this didn't seem to help much. A tree or mushroom shaped object on the map was also a puzzle: what and where was it?

The hope of finding the cache started waning. The McCormicks, using their WWI mine detector, searched the ledges in the lava beds. They excavated all suspected locations, but turned up nothing but two kegs of oxen shoes just off an old Mormon trail. The Professor stayed with the McCormicks for a full summer on his last trip, and returned to Kansas where he died two months later. It is assumed that he left the map, or a copy of the map, with the McCormicks.

Gladwell "Tony" Richardson was born in 1903. He was the son of S.I. Richardson, a well known Trading Post owner. Tony wrote over 300 hundred books in his lifetime, and hundreds of magazine articles as he got older. He wrote history books as well as fiction, but was careful about identifying historical facts from the legends and tales of the old west. He died 14 June 1979 at the Fort Whipple Veterans Hospital in Prescott, Arizona. There is much information about Richardson on the Internet, and even access to some of his books. Here is one reference that gives further information about him:
Gladwell Richardson Collection

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
Now, let us look at another story.

In 1770, a mule train shipment of silver ingots was traveling from Durango, CO to Mexico City. There is evidence that the Spanish were mining silver in the Durango, Colorado area.
A summary of the attack on this shipment can be found at: Lost Spanish treasures still lies in New Mexico lava beds | SpittalStreet.com

It is possible that this is the same ill fated mule train we have been discussing, or another shipment taking the same route. It was hard to understand that a mule train heading east to Santa Fe would choose a route through Chavez Pass, north to the St Francisco Peaks, and to camp at Bonito Park near Flagstaff. This route had plenty of wood, game, and water for travelers that would have crossed the barren eastern Arizona landscape. The general direction would be westward, and then south to Mexico. The "Narrows" described in this other narration is most likely Canon Diablo. According to the writer of this story, the trip was documented, and a map of the cash site was found by an Indian on one of the bodies. The map was a waybill showing where the silver bars were buried.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One problem, though, no mining sites for silver have been discovered in the Durango area. Now Silverton is a different story! So is Laplata Canyon! They found pits, tunnels, and arrastras, but not near Durango. Please feel free to correct me if you can. And never mind that Durango Colorado did not exist until 1881, over 100 years after the story was to have taken place...

Also, one part of the story suggests the silver bars were buried at the back of an overhang, another part suggests a map shows the bars were buried in a grassy meadow.

As well, I am familiar with "The Narrows" and cannot think of a place where they would have traveled through a narrow part, and then it opens into a grassy meadow, and then they would have had to enter anther narrow section on the other side of the meadow.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Igadbois

Firstly I think you fascinating treasure legend here. And there seems great potential to get at the truth. Clearly in some of later versions of story things have been added to sex up the story. Either it was intentional or unintentional. However that said it would be in your best interested to hunt the earliest source of story or the original document. This document may be in possession by the descendants of Mc Cormack's or this alleged doctor and professor????

Once again thank you for the immensely interesting post.

Amy

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second that Amy! And that is right in my stomping grounds too, so if I need to go check anything out, I'll be glad to post photos. I need to make a run out to Gallup/Grants soon anyway! Right where the narrows are to be found. I also have contacts with the tribe there, and can ask questions about things without arousing too much suspicion.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an interesting comment posted below the story at the link so kindly provided above:

JACK GRAHAM says:

June 13, 2013 at 10:35 pm

concerning the coiled snake marker near the narrows in the grants lava beds. the coiled snake is north of the la ventana, the sandstone arch, and east around a point and then back south into a small box canyon about five acres in size. on the west side of this canyon is a huge rock standing on end and leaning against the rock wall. there is room between the rock and the wall to walk through. two of my friends and i found this sign in the 1970s. we were ran off by the manager of the bibo ranch.

BINGO! That will help me "narrow" things down considerably! (pun intended) :-D

OP
OP
L

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
One problem, though, no mining sites for silver have been discovered in the Durango area. Now Silverton is a different story! So is La Plata Canyon! They found pits, tunnels, and arrastras, but not near Durango. Please feel free to correct me if you can. And never mind that Durango Colorado did not exist until 1881, over 100 years after the story was to have taken place...

I said Durango, CO because that was the information in the story at spittalstreet.com. Yes, Silverton could be the source of the silver. And Durango, "A rose by any name, smells the same!". The mining mentioned in the previous story could have been done anywhere in the silver belt.

It would be good to find journals or church records of the mining in southwest Colorado by the Spanish. Also, where is the original source of this second story. During the 1700s there was a good trail south from Tucson. The big problem in Arizona was the Indian wars. They peaked in 1751 and again in 1771. After the Jesuits were arrested, few attempts were made to reopen the lands of Pimeria Alta. Were silver shipments by that trail conducted during the Jesuit period into Mexico? Were they for shipping to Spain? Was there treasury to be moved from Santa Fe? The well documented Jesuit ministry does not mention any Franciscan activity that I know of. What about other silver mining in New Mexico or Utah?

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
If the mule train that stopped at Bonito Park was actually traveling west and then south, the burial site would then be 6 leagues southwest. The tree shaped symbol on the map may be a clue to the cache site of 95 silver ingots. With an average weight of 60 pounds, we are talking about three tons of silver!

OP
OP
L

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
I looked up The Narrows and La Ventana on Google Earth. It looks like the area opens up at La Ventana. At one time that area could have been a meadowland.

The trail 250 years ago may have followed the same route as today's highways, south from the Silverton area to the present I-40, and west toward Flagstaff.

Last edited:

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked up The Narrows and La Ventana on Google Earth. It looks like the area opens up at La Ventana. At one time that area could have been a meadowland.

The trail 250 years ago may have followed the same route as today's highways, south from the Silverton area to the present I-40, and west toward Flagstaff.

Yes, there are areas along the narrows that open up, but I was looking specifically for a "grassy meadow" that then closed back down to the narrows again on the other side. Near La Ventana it IS open, but doesn't really match the description of a "grassy meadow", with a narrow entrance and exit. I am working to find any other sources or information about this story, and will report back.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One problem, though, no mining sites for silver have been discovered in the Durango area. Now Silverton is a different story! So is La Plata Canyon! They found pits, tunnels, and arrastras, but not near Durango. Please feel free to correct me if you can. And never mind that Durango Colorado did not exist until 1881, over 100 years after the story was to have taken place...

I said Durango, CO because that was the information in the story at spittalstreet.com. Yes, Silverton could be the source of the silver. And Durango, "A rose by any name, smells the same!". The mining mentioned in the previous story could have been done anywhere in the silver belt.

It would be good to find journals or church records of the mining in southwest Colorado by the Spanish. Also, where is the original source of this second story. During the 1700s there was a good trail south from Tucson. The big problem in Arizona was the Indian wars. They peaked in 1751 and again in 1771. After the Jesuits were arrested, few attempts were made to reopen the lands of Pimeria Alta. Were silver shipments by that trail conducted during the Jesuit period into Mexico? Were they for shipping to Spain? Was there treasury to be moved from Santa Fe? The well documented Jesuit ministry does not mention any Franciscan activity that I know of. What about other silver mining in New Mexico or Utah?

Yes, I saw that Durango was in the story at the link you posted. I am trying to find out the source of the story that was posted at that link. Do you know where they got their information, as no sources were mentioned? I am also trying to contact the guy who posted that comment below it.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some searching on GE, and the La Ventana natural arch is located in the narrows at: 34.872236, -107.878747 . If you look north a little, there is indeed a point you can go around to enter a small box canyon, just as Jack Graham commented below the story at the link. I will be continuing to try to contact him, and also go do some searching in this canyon for the coiled snake as soon as I can get out there.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After looking again with new eyes, I think you may be on to something here about the meadow being near the arch! The coiled snake was found right in that area, which lends support to your theory on that.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ben Doney spent the rest of his life searching for the silver bars. Here is a recent article in the Arizona Daily Sun. Contrary to the suggestion that Doney may have found the bars in the article, he did not display sudden wealth or prosperity during his lifetime.

Back Then: Buried treasure in Flag might never be found

At some point in time, Alf Dickinson sold the Pine Hotel to the owner of the Museum Club. He also sold the 64 pound silver bar. Alf and his son, Walt, were involved in mining. They may have been investors in the Oatman Amalgamated Gold Mine. .

George McCormick was a well know cattle rancher in Central Arizona, and was very politically active. Yes, there is a good possibility that Jack Diamond worked for the railroad.

Of course, in 1769 there was no town of Flagstaff or any nearby mission. There was no major trail running past the San Francisco Mountains. Local Indian tribes had banded together to drive the foreigners out of their land. Any Spanish, French, or other exploration party was in danger of being attacked. Spanish artifacts from that time period have been found in Chavez Pass and Diablo Canyon. Indian mounted major offensives against the Spanish in 1751, and again in 1771. Three things contributed to the building of the town of Flagstaff. Gold was discovered in the San Francisco Mountains, the railroad came, and U.S. 66 highway became the main street through town (Santa Fe Ave).

At your link it states : "The background for this treasure tale was described in the Catholic diocese archives in Albuquerque, N.M." Well, I live in Albuquerque, and would like to know more about these records if you or anyone else knows where they are stored and how to access them. Of course, a gringo like me with no Spanish reading skills probably won't get very far!

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At this link that was posted "http://www.hkhinc.com/arizona/twoguns/history.htm" they mention a "barranca" south of Two Guns where people could cross Diablo Canyon. It mentions many travelers in the 1800's stopped to leave their mark at this crossing. Does anyone have GPS cords for this crossing point across the canyon?

OP
OP
L

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
The crossing point is where Padre Canyon and Diablo Canyon meet. Richardson wrote the Two Guns and Diablo story. His Dad had a Trading Post near by.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mason? I have a friend with a little brother of that name. He is a world class bag pipe player, who has traveled the world and won many awards. He also played at my Brother's wedding. Be you he? lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread