Paint Pot

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
A friend of mine while pulling a drag to straighten or level off his gravel driveway ended up pulling this out of the ground. He knew I collected Indian rocks as he calls them and gave this to me a couple years ago. It is one of the nicest artifacts of this sort I have ever laid eyes on. Hope you enjoy.
DSCN1205.jpg

DSCN1204.jpg

Upvote 0
S

seger98

I'm new to the Indian Artifacts so forgive the question, but why is it a paint pot & not a mortar & pestle?

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Seger98... Great question.

I don't want to appear to have all the answers, because I am far from that. This particular piece as you can see is black from the material that was ground in it. I believe a mortal that was used for grains or herbs or any other organic, would likely not retain any definitive color.

From what I have read, the natives that inhabited our area for a good while held a tradition that the females would paint a single black stripe on their foreheads when were eligible for marriage. Sooo, just maybe... this was the purpose of this artifact.

Joel

S

seger98

quito said:
Seger98... Great question.

I don't want to appear to have all the answers, because I am far from that. This particular piece as you can see is black from the material that was ground in it. I believe a mortal that was used for grains or herbs or any other organic, would likely not retain any definitive color.

From what I have read, the natives that inhabited our area for a good while held a tradition that the females would paint a single black stripe on their foreheads when were eligible for marriage. Sooo, just maybe... this was the purpose of this artifact.

Joel

Thanks for the answer, I guess that does sound very reasonable. Ok, so now what would they have ground to turn it black?

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I suppose black rocks were ground to a fine powder, then something added to make it a paste. Possibly some fat, or water, I'm not sure what would have worked best..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread