Paleo Cresent Blade (Jefferson City Cobble) One of my very best pieces!

mogi

Nov 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi friends, i have been hunting all week in Arkansas and Missouri. Relatives were clearing land and did lots of field hunting and digs. There were a total of 7 of us and some killer over hangs were dug as well. People often believe kindness and respect is almost a forgotten virtue. We found points,pestles,arrows,scrapers,spokeshaves,knives,abraders,axes,adzes and so many broke bases,tips,etc that it was unreal. What a vacation! Wow! Now back to the virtue comment. This piece was a gift to me from the best friend that i have in life. It is absolutely perfect and even though i was not the one who found it - he knew that i did not have a cresent knife in my collection and i freaked out and loved it so much that he gave it to me. I hope you enjoy it! God bless! Respectfully, Mogi jccb1.jpg jccb2.jpg jccb3.jpg jccb4.jpg jccb5.jpg

Upvote 0

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so big almost looks like a boomerang.nice piece.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Mogi, very cool piece. Any areas of high polish on it?

There is a type of square knife with a fairly limited distribution area called a Kansas Square knife. There is a version called a "doglegged" knife that is bent like yours. I haven't handled any of them, but the couple that I have seen in cases looked like exceptionally flat artifacts and flaked very well. The Hopewell around Kansas City also made some unique knives.

Kansas Square Knives, The Gorsuch Knife

Paleo Crescents are usually found west of the Rockies (Great Basin area primarily), are associated with pleistocene lake shores, and are generally quite small (3" would be huge.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread