Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Years ago there was an area not far from here, where you could make pottery surface finds.
This is a coastal area, and I have been told the local NA's used to crush oyster shell and incorporate it into their pottery.
Me and several others used to walk this spot. Ive seen some real interesting pieces come out this site.
Many of the pieces had lines and dots etched into them.
Some of the pieces I have seen from this area even had a molded bird head, or reptiles head that appeared to possibly be part of the handle.

Recently I came across some of the pieces. I have been wanting to post them here and see if I could get any information on them, such as age, who would have made them, etc.

There is one piece that has always puzzled me, that I was hoping someone could help me on.
It has a curvy line on it like a snake or a river, and looks like the piece actually begins to fork at one end.

Any help would be greatly appreciated on these items.
Thanks.

Attachments

• P4090001.JPG
    P4090001.JPG
    338.7 KB · Views: 101
  • P4090003.JPG
    P4090003.JPG
    334.8 KB · Views: 85
  • P4090002.JPG
    P4090002.JPG
    265 KB · Views: 78
  • P4090005.JPG
    P4090005.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 106
  • P4090006.JPG
    P4090006.JPG
    213 KB · Views: 82
  • P4090008.JPG
    P4090008.JPG
    219.2 KB · Views: 75
  • P4090009.JPG
    P4090009.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 78
Upvote 0

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you find these in the Lynchberg MS area? knowing that can help ID it. I only know mostly about western NC pottery but I do see some similar to here and that's the norm. I see some incised pieces and curvilinear too which makes them Mississippian and Woodland time periods. I see the snake pattern too and if it were Catawba like here it wouldn't surprise me. I've read some histories on the Catawba people, how they see the black snake as a symbol of power and made "snake pots", very interesting. Try googling the NA's that lived in your area or check out any local museums that have the artifacts there and it might help further your research. If you have a local archaeologist to ask would be even better, I have one here and ask them about my finds.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not real sure about the Pottery from your area but in my area all of the Shell Tempered Pottery began around 950 AD and is Ft Ancient Culture related. The Bone piece does look to be engraved and could actually a broken Shaft Wrench like this one from North Dakota.

Here's a link to a great site on Pottery types.

Mississippi-Pottery-Types

Attachments

• DSC_0076.jpg
    DSC_0076.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC_0078.jpg
    DSC_0078.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Did you find these in the Lynchberg MS area?
Yes, MS gulf coast area. The area is no longer called Lynchberg.
Thanks for your help. All pieces came from the same area.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not real sure about the Pottery from your area but in my area all of the Shell Tempered Pottery began around 950 AD and is Ft Ancient Culture related. The Bone piece does look to be engraved and could actually a broken Shaft Wrench like this one from North Dakota.

Here's a link to a great site on Pottery types.

Mississippi-Pottery-Types
Thanks. Interesting, I didn't think it was bone, and had no idea what a shaft wrench was. Could be some sort of bone tool, if so it would have to of been dyed or colored.
The shaft wrench is believed to have been used for straightening arrows in which the wood of the shaft was heated. The shaft wrench was used to hold the hot arrowshaft while pressure was applied to straighten the shaft. The arrowshaft would be passed through the hole in the bone which served as a handle or wrench while shaping the arrow. The shaft wrench was a popular tool among bison hunting groups throughout the Great Plains.
Interesting fact. We did have bison here in South MS at one time. Here is a fragment from the legend of the 1722 map. for my area.

Attachments

• 1722e.jpg
    1722e.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That engraved shaft wrench thing is as cool as can be. That has to be a rare find

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see a shaft wrench at all. The end holes aren't large enough. What I see is an engraved bone gorget with the ends damaged. I also see a river, not a snake. A snake has a head and a tale, or a beginning and an end. This engraving seems to have no beginning or end. That's an awesome find.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't see a shaft wrench at all. The end holes aren't large enough. What I see is an engraved bone gorget with the ends damaged. I also see a river, not a snake. A snake has a head and a tale, or a beginning and an end. This engraving seems to have no beginning or end. That's an awesome find.
Thanks for responding. I was wondering the same thing about the opening not being very big, but I had no idea what else it could be.
The one end of the river/snake etching definitely doesn't have a tail/head, but I cant quite make out the design on the other end.
Would be cool if it were a gorget.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread