✅ SOLVED Paleo hunt today (Agate Basin, Midland, Eden & Hell Gap)

TundraPlugger

Jan 27, 2019
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out with my oldest daughter today and did quite well.
I forgot my phone in the truck so I wasn't able to get any in-situ pics.
For size reference the Agate Basin is about 2 1/2" long if I remember right.

The patinated Paleo base is a Midland I think but it may also be a Goshen base.....tough to say for sure. The Agate Basin looks to have been resharpened into a knife. The Hell Gap is the little chunk of stem with a broken tip.....resharpened down to nothing. 20191020_160542.jpg20191020_160752.jpg20191020_160812.jpg20191020_160829.jpg20191020_160857.jpg20191020_160931.jpg20191020_160948.jpg20191020_161010.jpg20191020_161040.jpg20191020_162957.jpg20191020_163029.jpg

Upvote 0
Awesome finds. That Agate Basin is really cool.

It looks resharpened in the haft as a knife. It probably successfully served its first purpose (atlatl point) and then likely processed some big bison afterwards.

A lot of people will hunt a lifetime and not find that much Paleo and some will never find one piece. Saying that you and your daughter did well is an understatement. I would have been ecstatic over the spurred end scraper alone! Thanks for sharing those wonderful finds TundraPlugger.

Wow ! I could look at those all day , Paleo knife river flint doesn’t get much better than that . I’m guessing soon as you get home you try and see if you have any of the brokes match up to previous finds ..... ever have any luck with that ? Thanks for posting I enjoy seeing top notch artifacts.

That's what im talking about. Congratulations

Awesome finds. That Agate Basin is really cool.

It looks resharpened in the haft as a knife. It probably successfully served its first purpose (atlatl point) and then likely processed some big bison afterwards.
Thanks Josh! I think you're right......although I wouldn't mind if it was still how it was during the hunt!

A lot of people will hunt a lifetime and not find that much Paleo and some will never find one piece. Saying that you and your daughter did well is an understatement. I would have been ecstatic over the spurred end scraper alone! Thanks for sharing those wonderful finds TundraPlugger.
Thanks goodtime! I guess I hit the site at the right time! I knew there was Paleo to find there just didn't expect that many in one hunt!

Wow ! I could look at those all day , Paleo knife river flint doesn’t get much better than that . I’m guessing soon as you get home you try and see if you have any of the brokes match up to previous finds ..... ever have any luck with that ? Thanks for posting I enjoy seeing top notch artifacts.
Thanks arrow! I've matched up a few broken pieces over the past 20 years, just never any Paleo points.

Great score. I knew you'ld start turning up some more complete pieces soon. Congrats.
Thanks Tdog! I was wondering when that Paleo was going to start showing. It was a great hunt.....I'm well pleased with the finds.

Great finds! The flaking on those pieces is really something. Getting cool up there yet?
Thanks newnan! I love the old Paleo flaking styles!
It was supposed to be in the low 50's yesterday but was only 32 degrees when we were out. A bit chilly but not bad.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back