🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Paleo tools? Clovis? Help please and thank you

kevin33

Mar 28, 2024
Smyth County Va
OK, so I found these items in my yard on the hill and then the creek within a football field size area. I’ve done just a little bit of research and the words, Clovis Paleo, Indian stone, knives, stone, hammer spear tips so any confirmation of this point would be helpful.
IMG_6040.jpeg
IMG_6030.jpeg
IMG_6026.jpeg
IMG_6022.jpeg
IMG_6019.jpeg
IMG_6015.jpeg
IMG_6012.jpeg
IMG_6013.jpeg
IMG_6023.jpeg
IMG_6029.jpeg
IMG_6044.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6017.jpeg
    IMG_6017.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
just a word to the wise here... the internet has exploded with images of "not artifacts". So when you do your research, many, many pix will pop up from folk posting imaginary tools. Ebay is rife with paleo rocks for sale, (look up portable rock art). If you are actually interested in learning, listen to the folk here and don't argue.... you will be wrong. One big thing to consider is that paleo folk were just as capable of manufacturing expert and precise tools as we are today. There are no "Fred Flintstone" type tools out there.

Upvote 4

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man the portable rock art scam on the internet really ruins the newbies ability to get into stone artifacts. Seems like it pops up here monthly if not weekly

Upvote 3

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi kevin33,
Welcome to the "Show"!

Yes, you will not get much verification of a natural stone being an authentic American Indian Stone Artifact...unless there are visiable hand carvings on them.
Your stones look very similar to what I would have used for a Hammer or Fish Weight.

Here are 2 pictures of rocks.
One is a verifiable American Indian Stone Net Weight, verified by the Smithonian Museum of Native Indian Artifacts...the other was stated by fellow Forum Members as "Just a Rock".

Not with standing the Smithonian registration number...Can you tell the difference?

Native Net Weight 2.jpg
Native Fish Weight 2.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kevin33

kevin33

Mar 28, 2024
Smyth County Va
Hi kevin33,
Welcome to the "Show"!

Yes, you will not get much verification of a natural stone being an authentic American Indian Stone Artifact...unless there are visiable hand carvings on them.
Your stones look very similar to what I would have used for a Hammer or Fish Weight.

Here are 2 pictures of rocks.
One is a verifiable American Indian Stone Net Weight, verified by the Smithonian Museum of Native Indian Artifacts...the other was stated by fellow Forum Members as "Just a Rock".

Not with standing the Smithonian registration number...Can you tell the difference?

View attachment 2140093 View attachment 2140096
IMG_6052.jpeg

Seems like this many in and near the creek in my front yard and in back on the hill near the stone piles would be just rocks … the Virginia Museum of natural history found a woolly mammoth skeleton only about 20 miles from here Saltville, Virginia

Upvote 1

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
View attachment 2140120
Seems like this many in and near the creek in my front yard and in back on the hill near the stone piles would be just rocks … the Virginia Museum of natural history found a woolly mammoth skeleton only about 20 miles from here Saltville, Virginia
All rocks nothing is worked by human hands. If you want to see some artifacts you can look at my past posts

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread