Paleoindian Lanceolate Biface.

OneWetKnee

May 26, 2013
New Brunswick, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the oldest artifact I have ever found or even touched. It is 10,600-12,000 year old paleoindian lanceolate bi-face. It is made from a greenish flow banded rhyolite. which is an extrusive volcanic rock common in southern New Brunswick where I found this. I feel truly humbled by finding something so special.

IMG_0914.JPG

IMG_0913.JPG

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a pleasure to finally see an actual true artifact posted here. That is a dandy of a Bi-Face. Thanks for posting that for us to see and welcome to the site.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am glad you found us. Dont be shy on posting more of your collection, rock

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Blade Onewetknee. Welcome aboard and thank you for sharing. Is it a recent find? Perfect.

OP
OP
O

OneWetKnee

May 26, 2013
New Brunswick, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Blade Onewetknee. Welcome aboard and thank you for sharing. Is it a recent find? Perfect.

No it is not recent, when I found it I made the mistake of taking it to the local university with the best anthropology dept. 4 years later it was returned to my possession :) believe it or not it was a beach find on some very old land my family owns... I considered skipping it into the water as it looked like a great skipper... until I looked a little closer.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you got it back. You had to keep asking about it I am sure. As to when they were going to return it to you. They like to put them in the basement at most universities.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No it is not recent, when I found it I made the mistake of taking it to the local university with the best anthropology dept. 4 years later it was returned to my possession :) believe it or not it was a beach find on some very old land my family owns... I considered skipping it into the water as it looked like a great skipper... until I looked a little closer.

I am glad you did not skip it. I skipped a green stone round platter once and as soon as I released it realized it was an artifact ! lol Good save and glad you got it back home at last.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
May I ask (I probably should know by now) how you know it's paleo? I found the tip of a blade like that. Also a base that resembles the rest of the piece. Hope you don't mind my posting pics. I would love for you guys to critique my finds.

image-826051464.jpg

image-1371470820.jpg

They look similar in shape to me and were found near each other.

OP
OP
O

OneWetKnee

May 26, 2013
New Brunswick, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Often when you find several close to each other it is debitage, meaning all the waste material produced during lithic reduction and the production of chipped stone tools. When you find nearly complete ones like that, the stones would break so they would drop it and start again. I know mine is Paleo from the dept of anthropology comparing it to other east coast finds that have been found with charcoal that has been carbon dated. (the fire they had while making tools)

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Often when you find several close to each other it is debitage, meaning all the waste material produced during lithic reduction and the production of chipped stone tools. When you find nearly complete ones like that, the stones would break so they would drop it and start again. I know mine is Paleo from the dept of anthropology comparing it to other east coast finds that have been found with charcoal that has been carbon dated. (the fire they had while making tools)

Thanks for the reply. These are both field finds and the plow got the better of them. I can't say for sure that they are even pieced of the same artifact. Thanks again!

OP
OP
O

OneWetKnee

May 26, 2013
New Brunswick, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply. These are both field finds and the plow got the better of them. I can't say for sure that they are even pieced of the same artifact. Thanks again!

I would say you are right on the money, its clearly from the same artifact smashed by a plow.. I wonder with a good eye if you could find the other pieces to the puzzle.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I would say you are right on the money, its clearly from the same artifact smashed by a plow.. I wonder with a good eye if you could find the other pieces to the puzzle.

Funny you mentioned that. Every time I hit that field, I find another piece to this point. Still missing a nice portion of it and much of it has weathered pretty bad. I know all of the pieces came from the point posted. Same flaking pattern, lithic and size all in about a three foot circle. I have all of the "crumbs" in a sandwich bag. Lol.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great blade! Congrats and welcome! Hope you'll share anything else you may have found on that family land-- we don't get too many folks from Canada here. Happy Hunting!
Yakker

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread