Panning for minerals?

Coolguy1357911

Tenderfoot
Jun 9, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I’m new to the site. I’m on Long Island New York. I know we don’t have any gold or a lot of gems, but I was wonder if I could pan for minerals? Looking for iron and whatever else I can find. Will take anything from gems/cool rocks to pan to metal like iron and whatever we have here on the island. I can not be more liberal about what I will take. Anything is appreciated

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Coolguy1357911

Tenderfoot
Jun 9, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should have added - it doesn’t really have to be panning. I’m willing to search and pickup whole rocks and maybe even fossils. Preferably near East Setauket but doesn’t have to be

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you investigated the geology of Long Island at all? It's all glacial. You have two moraines that run lengthwise with the island, and the rest is glacial outwash clay, sand, gravel and rock. I would find road cuts that expose fresh gravel, and find the black sands, if any, for the heavier minerals. Or, just examine the gravel assortments for interesting specimens. You may consider a UV light, and hit the gravels at night for interesting specimens. Get into any streams that have gravel bars. Good luck.

OP
OP
C

Coolguy1357911

Tenderfoot
Jun 9, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I did but I figured I would try iron first to get started. I’m pretty new to the hobby but I’ll try my best. Thanks. Still taking suggestions btw lol

tadvanallen

Tenderfoot
May 20, 2019
San Diego
Detector(s) used
looking at a Gmonster.. not a owner
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this guy panned around your neck of the woods..

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I’m new to the site. I’m on Long Island New York...
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Forum: New York for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Krays's response was very good! A pan will recover ANY heavy material. It's a great tool. I'd do a bunch of test panning before buying anything else. Get a general idea of what's in the ground, and go from there.
Jim

OP
OP
C

Coolguy1357911

Tenderfoot
Jun 9, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone! And thank you for the very warm welcome!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread