airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whelp....

I went panning for the first time, in Hayden Creek in North Kootenai County.

I was there for all of about 60 minutes, and didn't want to leave! I guess I have 'gold fever' because my reasonable piece of my brain was telling there's prolly nothing there to find anyhow, but the huge chunk of my grey matter didn't care - I thought I might find a nugget or some flakes at least, if I only went through another pan!

I know I'm not even a neophite - I was using a garden hand spade and a plastic gold pan - but it was fun none the less. I wanted to go with a friend, however he was not available and I kept looking up/over my shoulder half expecting to either see a bear seconds before it swipes my head off, or Jethro with 'some'er' teeth smiling at me!

Anyhow, any thoughts or tip would certainly be appreciated - just wanted to share!

OP
OP
airborne1092

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went again this morning, but to a slightly different place. I found a nice spot with a rocky sandbar (I wish it had drinks! haha!) in the middle of the stream and worked that for an hour or so. I came away with a few measly flakes. Then, I donned some knee-high rubbers and walked the stream for about 1/8th of a mile. I found a spot that I think I'll come back to. Nice, deep (3-4 feet?) pool with silty-clay walls that display multiple layers of soil type; Rushing water on the opposite side (4-8 inches deep) - the whole creek is only about 8-10 feet wide with 5-7 foot high walls, but I'm getting tired of scooping river rock and washing it to get the fine gravel!

Speaking of river rock, This place is a minefield of deco rock; I also found some nice pieces of quartz and jasper that my 2 year old should appreciate once they're tumbled!

All in all, I certainly enjoy my daytime forays to the hills - eventually however, I'll have to show my wife where I'm spending my days "working"! LOL

theloadroom

Oct 17, 2006
SW Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Sunray X-1 probe
airborne1092 said:
All in all, I certainly enjoy my daytime forays to the hills - eventually however, I'll have to show my wife where I'm spending my days "working"! LOL

LOL the bane of us all!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread