scott3165

Mar 7, 2011
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello All First Time Posting in the Forum,

I live in Massachusetts and just starting panning for gold last summer in VT. I have done a lot of research and looking at TOPO graphs and trying to understand what I am looking at and for.

My question is: Is there a chance to find gold wherever I can find bedrock?

The problem I am running into in the streams I am panning is mica, alot of it. There are alot of huge chunks of quartz rocks which I'm hoping is another sign there might be gold in the streams.

I've been looking where people have already found gold close to me and most of it is 5+hours which makes it hard to go every weekend, especially when gas is climbing well over 3.50 a gallon. So I'm trying to do more research on how and if I can find gold closer to me where it has never been found. I go out and take samples and bring them back to my house to pan out when I have the chance but no luck so far. I just found some bedrock here in MA about 20 mins away and will be going to take some samples once the snow clears up some more.

Any tips would be great for my searching!

Scott

Upvote 0

helix-2000

Nov 28, 2007
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3; Minelab Excal 2; DFX 300
I have the same question and also live in Massachusetts. From what I have read western mass streams have a better chance of having gold than streams in the eastern part of the state.

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Scott,
According to GPAA (Gold Prospectors Assoc. of America) information, the western part of the state has had the most gold occurances. What you will have in Mass. is glacial deposits, no load gold that might supply the streams. What you want to look for is streams with significant water flow with good vertical drop and broken bedrock that will provide a concentrating effect. Work the cracks and crevices and clean as good as possible. Break the bedrock apart and clean all gravel and material that has collected in the cracks and under the bedrock you could break. If there is cracked or broken bedrock above the waterline up on the banks be sure to clean them as they will fill during flood stage. Good luck and may you pan turn yellow with gold.

B H Prospector

OP
OP
scott3165

scott3165

Mar 7, 2011
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the info!

I've been checking the TOPO graphs and found some bedrock but doesn't seem to be that much or as much as I would like.

I'm going to check some of the streams/rivers east of the Berkshires and see what I find.

Also, when I pick a new spot and do some samples should I:
1) start by getting samples at the inner bend in streams?
2) just dig in the streams or on the bank of the river or both?
3) how deep should I dig (I'm using a shovel)?

Scott

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Scott,

You want to work the inside bend of creeks. That includes on the bank also. Digging in the water is very difficult because the water will just continue refilling your hole with material. It can be done but is hard. I have done this by digging on the down stream side of and under large rocks. You want to dig down to bedrock if it isn't more than a foot or so of over burden. Once on bedrock you will want to either use a dredge or a suction tube. You can build a tube rather cheap with plans found on the net. With out some sort of suction you won't be able to get the better gold sitting on the bedrock in the water. On the bank if you find some exposed bedrock sticking out work into the bank following the bedrock but do not tunnel. The rule I use is I don't tunnel any deeper than the length of a 5 gal. bucket. I then remove more overburden before digging deeper. Once you have exposed bedrock clean it off as good as possible. Sweep it off and clean out any cracks. Pan the material and see what you have. This is called sniping or crevasing. If you have a sluice box run the overburden just above the bedrock. I figure if I have to move dirt I'm going to run it. Hope you find some good yellow.

B H Prospector

OP
OP
scott3165

scott3165

Mar 7, 2011
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OK, now I know what to look for and not waste my time. I can't use a dredge here but I'm working on a pump sucker system that I think will help found here:

Can't wait to get out and start the new year. We are getting pounded with rain and very bad flooding so I'll just have to wait a little longer.

Thanks for all the reply's. As a newbie, this forum is great for getting the help I need to get started in the right direction.

Scott

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to help. The more we can get involved in prospecting the better. Waiting for snow to melt here in South Dakota so we can get into the mountains. About 3 ft up there yet. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

B H Prospector

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
In three years of panning on the Deerfield River and its tributaries in Charlemont, I've found a little over 1 gram of very fine flakes and 1 very small picker (about half the size of a grain of rice). I heard there was a small load gold discovery in Beckett a few summers ago, I'll try to find the article for you.

OP
OP
scott3165

scott3165

Mar 7, 2011
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Are you having to dig deep to get down to bedrock?
Are you actually finding it in the river or the river banks?

I just started last year and haven't found anything yet. Been checking in bedrock cracks and behind boulders in rivers and nothing yet.

mumsituk

Jun 15, 2011
Hi,
Here in Adirondacks, NY close to VT border. Have suction divice and other equipment. Want to get 1.5" dredge and down to N. Carolina for some days at a "pay site - moving to Woodstock, NY. Looking here in Adirondacks. Had 3 solid months dredging in CA 25 yrs. ago. Long time! But I got the fever again! Wanna talk or email?
Gene Caso [email protected] or 518-648-0456Hi,
Here in Adirondacks, NY close to VT border. Have suction divice and other equipment. Want to get 1.5" dredge and down to N. Carolina for some days at a "pay site - moving to Woodstock, NY. Looking here in Adirondacks. Had 3 solid months dredging in CA 25 yrs. ago. Long time! But I got the fever again! Wanna talk or email?
Gene Caso [email protected] or 518-648-0456

Nuggetville

Feb 28, 2011
We have a house in western MA, and there is potential here. I have heard many old timer reports of small stuff here in Southern Berkshire county, and even a few reports of very old mines :dontknow: . We have lots of demo equipment and some free time if you want to meet up. We're always up for an adventure!

mumsituk

Jun 15, 2011
Nuggetville,
Getting 1.5" dredge shipped next week.
If you can find a spot in a river/stream that is legal to dredge (or private creek/stream/river front property), then call/write me. But must tell you, I am 67yrs. old with somewhat of a handicap, so if you can help me just a bit in packing in/packing out & setting up, I will split 50/50 with you -if we find anything!!! Just never know. :dontknow: Thing is, I want to stay within the law.
518-648-0456 [email protected] Gene

survival_hippie

Sep 6, 2011
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i have a question to ask and i figured i put it in this topic since i too live in western mass.would panning for gold about a mile down stream from a dam a be a good idea?im a total noob to gold panning so i figured id ask before i went out and started panning.

Gramps43

Feb 27, 2011
Tillamook, OR
Detector(s) used
White's 4900/D Pro Plus
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Unless you've got a couple of creeks or streams feeding into that 1 mi. stretch I say you'd be beat'n a dead horse. If you can get in above the dam you'd be far more likely to find some color.

Gramps

survival_hippie

Sep 6, 2011
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
well im glad i asked because i was thinkin bout goin up there this weekend if it didnt rain.guess ill have to head up above the dam and see whats there.thanks for the quick reply,wasnt expecting one till tomarrow.

OP
OP
scott3165

scott3165

Mar 7, 2011
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been prospecting about 1/4 mile below a dam in Westfield and have found some very small specs in my blue bowl. You just have to be sure you are digging deep. It's not like out West were you can just pan in a stream and find some gold, we have to look a lot harder and dig a lot deeper.

survival_hippie

Sep 6, 2011
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
dudee,im right in west west springfield haha,i was planning to pan up on the river that runs along granville rd/rout57 in southwick.my brother owns a house right by the river.

OP
OP
scott3165

scott3165

Mar 7, 2011
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just work the inside of bends and/or behind bedrock on straights.

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Westfield River had sluicing operations in the 1930s. I've found the remains but have not had a chance to dip into it.
Also, look at old maps. I have a lot of them on my site. Here's a little section of a map from the 1800s. I haven't had a chance to explore this yet, either.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 13,486

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions