Panning in Milwaukee

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Lake Michigan beach would be a place to try. The gold will be sand grain sized of course. Gather the layers of black sand you'll find on the beach and pan that down.

greenerlumber

Mar 4, 2013
Mexico, MO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Stew,

Here is a link to sites in Wisconsin where gold has been found. It's from the Wisconsin Geological Survey.
gold

Good Luck,
RP

OP
OP
Stewie53110

Stewie53110

Greenie
Aug 4, 2013
I appreciate the guidance. For the Lake Michigan shoreline, should I try near any specific areas or near any specific rivers or anything? I live about 2 minutes from the lake so getting there is easy. I just have no idea where to start. I can't remember ever seeing "black sand" honestly. I have no idea what I'm doing to be honest. I'll try anything though.
Thanks again for the input. Its all greatly appreciated.

nmhunter

Apr 27, 2013
Truth or consequences New Mexico
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is a link to an older youtube video by Mike Pung. He latter revised this box and developed the Gold Cube. The video shows black sand and I think is kind of cool to see how the whole "Gold Cube" idea started.

OP
OP
Stewie53110

Stewie53110

Greenie
Aug 4, 2013
OK I have a couple questions. First is that a friend of mine told me to "season" my pans before I attempted using them. I watched him run around the surface of my pans with sandpaper. Believe me.... this just doesn't sound right to me.
Second is that I tried panning this weekend. I can see these tiny specs that resemble gold "flour gold" and they are way too tiny to collect. Some are also stuck in the scratches my friend "seasoned" into them. I tried a syringe, little suction bulbs, my finger tips, even the tip of a pocket knife. If I get it on any of those I can't see it anymore or can't even pick them up.
Any advise on what to do?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
As far as I have been taught, seasoning your' Gold Pan merely entails cleaning it with a good grease removing dishwashing liquid, then taking it to the creek where you plan to pan for Gold, scoop up a load of sand, dirt and rocks, then rub them hard all around the interior of the Gold Pan, rinse and you should be done. This merely takes off the glossy slick sheen which can cause Gold Flakes and small pickers to slip out of the pan if way over tilted.

If your' Gold Pan has gouges in it from where your friend used (probably rough grit) sandpaper on it, then you will need to get a finer grit of sandpaper to remove the gouges before you do the seasoning as described above.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stewie53110

Stewie53110

Greenie
Aug 4, 2013
Thank you, I hope it will work. I got real lucky finding these pans. I'm not sure I'll get lucky again any time soon finding more.
When he was "seasoning" my pans it didn't make any sense to me. I'm just starting out and can only go by what people show me. I hope this doesn't put an end to things before they start. I've been really looking forward to panning.
I'll give your advise a try. Thanks again for the information.

greenerlumber

Mar 4, 2013
Mexico, MO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you, I hope it will work. I got real lucky finding these pans. I'm not sure I'll get lucky again any time soon finding more.
When he was "seasoning" my pans it didn't make any sense to me. I'm just starting out and can only go by what people show me. I hope this doesn't put an end to things before they start. I've been really looking forward to panning.
I'll give your advise a try. Thanks again for the information.

Stewie, find out what grit your friend used and then step down grit after grit until you get down to about 400 or even down to 600 grit for the final sanding.
That should bring the pan back down to a good "tooth" for catching AND retrieving the fine stuff. Then wash it as suggested above.
You just need to get the gouges smoothed back down.
RP

BadgerGold

Mar 21, 2013
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Stewie, I am also from the Milwaukee area and have tried panning the black sand along the beach looking for gold... I have yet to find even a SPECK. Not to say I havent given up hope! There is no shortage of black sand along the beach I have tried at Doctor's park and down by the Mckinley Marina... please let me know if you have any luck and let me know if youd ever want to go panning sometime. I work as a FF out in Menomonee Falls. Take care and good luck!

OP
OP
Stewie53110

Stewie53110

Greenie
Aug 4, 2013
Yeah, that would be worth a shot. I tried by the Oak Creek treatment plant. There is a beach but like 200 steps to get there so there is usually no crowd. I tried along the rocks and in between but so far I'm not in the good stuff yet. If I find anything worth sharing, I will definitely give you a heads up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread