Panning in N. Lower Michigan

hoser

Jan 11, 2006
Northern Michigan
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, AtPro
I live in the northern part of the lower peninsula of Michigan. I used to pan out in the Black Hills. Is there anyone here that has panned my area with any success? I have done some research, and read that there is gold in several rivers/streams around my area. I would like to give it a shot once again and see, but if I'm not stepping out of bounds could you provide me with some info.

Upvote 0

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
The way Michigan laws are you can't pan anywhere even though it says you can pan year round and only use a sluice in July & Aug with a 50.00 permit ??? I just go anyways and don't dig up any banks no digging utensils just scrape up a little off the river bed with hands and an old pan that is where the good stuff is any ways, but the done are ignorant about the laws (how many people do they come across with a pan in there hands at the river)

Yeah thats what I was thinking. The way the rules are worded its like it says " you can but you cant". How is anybody going to do any panning if you cant have some type of shovel or do any digging at all ? I understand they dont want anybody digging up the banks or destroying the river bed but they could atleast give a little clarification.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My understanding is that those rules only apply to certain named waterways...true?

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a cube and made a topper for it, ,I cant wait to find a spot to try it or maybe a gold get together by one of the clubs.

Slim_Pickins

Feb 26, 2014
Lincoln Park, Mi
Detector(s) used
I have 2 white's coinmasters and 1 Garrett ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings fellow prospectors,

Recently I acquired a nice sluice box and gold pan. Living in wayne county I am stuck with panning locally for the time being.
Thinking about heading up to copper country to do a little prospecting. If any members have some ideals as to where I can go
without big brother sticking his nose into my business I would really appreciate it.

Any tips on where to go around wayne county would also be appreciated.
I have read some of the arbitrary laws regarding gold panning etc. All I can say is Pifft.
Won't go into a rant about them.

I have a metal detector, gold pan, sluice box. and a home made suction dredge made from pvc pipe and a bilge pump.
( Needs field testing )

If by chance you own land up in the up around copper country I would like to hear from you. Maybe we can make some arrangement
for prospecting?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There have been quite a few reports of gold in SE michigan including in the suburbs of Detroit. You can use mylandmatters.org or your local county assessor web based maps to figure out who owns the land near you ...and then ask for permission as needed.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And a 15 gram per year limit for recreational prospecting! No panning in any trout or salmon stream. (and every stream in the county is one!)

That's why I'm hitting the Lake itself! No claims, no mineral rights, and it generally keeps the game wardens at shoreline distance! A dive flag also keeps them at bay.

Try around the old Ropes gold mine near Ishpemming, and/or try asking the iron mines south of there if you can work their tailings. You'll probably need a hard hat if they let you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread