woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
There's gold in the Truckee River that runs right through downtown. And sometimes coins and/or jewelry, remember that Reno's a gamblin' town. I suppose that panning is legit in any public park on the Truckee. How much color you see probably depends mostly on just where you choose to pan, 20 feet (or even 2 feet) can make a big difference. There are people here who unlike me have lots of panning experience who can offer suggestions how to eyeball a promising spot on an unfamiliar stream.

I suppose that some Renoites can offer more specific advice on river access and which places are best for panning.

And while you're in "The Biggest Little City in the World" [Reno], if you like to read (including about gold), check out the best used bookstore in Nevada, Zephyr Books on South Virginia St. just a short distance from the middle of town. My family owns and runs it.

--Dave J.

minerjoe

Nov 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
ZED,2300,4500,t2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a friend that got kicked off the truckee by police, he was dredging it with a 5 inch dredge! Ha ha he did get some rings first though. Just downriver from the bridge. As far as i know there is not much gold in the truckee. your closest river would be the carson for panning. There are numerous creeks on the east side of the sierra there that have known placer mines on them, but i have no experience there. Panning is not best in a desert. All you have to do is go west from there on 395/70 to get to where it is much better for panning. Middle fork of the Feather river is only an hour from there. I live on it. Good luck!

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are several public day use areas just off I-80 on the Bear river near Colfax and Alta. They have a hundred times more potential for color
than Reno and the Truckee.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread