panning in southwestern PA

wlb7718

Jan 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
has anybody had any luck in the southwestern part of Pennsylvania? I have been wanting to start panning, but want to know if it is a waste of time. I am from the ohiopyle area, that's where I will be panning. in a small creek "dunbar creek" right on the back side of a sandstone mine and rock quarry. thanks in advance for any feedback.

Upvote 0

stanjtown

Nov 9, 2012
Lebanon County
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T Net, and yes it's possible but do some research on the internet for your area and for your county. I typed in gold found in Bucks County and some things came up. Good luck and keep us posted on what you find and ask questions if you need help.

Stan

newgoldfinder

Dec 19, 2013
Adams County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There has been gold found three hours away from you in the Adams county area. In the conewago creek I believe. I pan in a creek that runs right of the mountains and into the conewago. So far nothing. But I have not tried where I wanted to yet.

stanjtown

Nov 9, 2012
Lebanon County
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Adams county is a great place to look in all the research that I've done on that area, just stay off parks and battle fields and ask for permission. Do your own research if you didn't already and dig deep.

roygpa

Mar 5, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+ Garrett AT-Pro, Fisher F5, Fisher F2, 2- Garrett Pro Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live about 90 minutes from Ohiopyle and was thinking about panning the Yough too. I have found nothing about anyone finding gold there, but I figure a day spent on the Yough panning for gold that isn't there is better than spending a day on the couch. Hard to beat the Ohiopyle area for a place to relax. Even when it's crowded it doesn't feel like it. Not to me anyway.

newgoldfinder

Dec 19, 2013
Adams County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to pan down stream from Devils Den. Since there is definitely gold in Devils Den I figured there might be some down stream since its illegal to pan on the battle field. Only went twice and found what might have been gold but the land was bought up and then posted so I never got a chance to really find anything. Tis a shame.

stanjtown

Nov 9, 2012
Lebanon County
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking to come down this spring and do some digging in some of the places that I researched and hopefully find color. I'm looking to be much farther south close to the MD boarder about a mile north.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread