Panning in Uwharrie National Forest

vote4dirk

Nov 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings NC TreasureNet,

I have recently found an interest in panning random creeks around my farm in Davidson County, NC. With little success, I'm just looking for a place to go once a month and get my panning fix in. I love the hobby and find a lot of joy in the adventure. I recently spoke with a man that directed me to go to UNF as a free panning location. Does anyone have any info they would like to share about UNF? I have a good map of the area but I'm not really sure where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated for this beginner!

Thanks in advance,

-V4D

ecoast

Sep 12, 2013
The Highlands of NW NJ
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, V3i, DeepTech Vista SMART, ATP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
go to eldorado outpost just outside URE and ask where in park is best.

very friendly, good food, also have panning supplies.

I don't pan there, but have been wheeling many times.

MODIZZLE71

Dec 24, 2012
Uwharrie is a great place to get out to and do some digging.

I agree, hey vote4dirk most good places are a hike everything within road/walking distance has been sluiced/panned to death by hobbists if your free weekdays look me up i am off most mon-tues

MODIZZLE71

Dec 24, 2012
ForumRunner_20131113_164151.png

Headed into UNF

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131113_164227.png
    ForumRunner_20131113_164227.png
    119.2 KB · Views: 455

pods

Feb 18, 2014
Raleigh
Detector(s) used
BGT mini and prospector, Gold-n-Sand.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is anyone familiar with how the rules are being enforced in Uwharrie as of now? I wanted to take a run there but always see conflicting rules and I am not driving 2 hours to simply pan.
I found this page online and it clearly states no sluices or shovels?
National Forests in North Carolina - Resource Management
"Materials must be removed using small hand tools without mechanical means or motorized equipment. Removing mineral materials with a pick, shovel, sluice box or similar large tools can cause significant impacts to resources is considered mechanical so therefore not allowed."

I know there is no dredging, and no bank or shelf mining, but it seems that now they are not going to allow a sluice or shovel?
I guess I could call the Ranger but it seems that you are down to hand or trowel and pan. The way of things I guess.
I do not recall seeing this rule a year ago when I looked into Uwharrie, but now it is there in plain text.
Chris

MODIZZLE71

Dec 24, 2012
We go to UNF as if right now they are not enforcing the sluice, shovel rule. We dig during the week we never see a ranger on weekends we see lots of enforcement. We also walk the extra mile away from most tailings piles that your avrg hobbyists leaves behind. I hear horror stories about Rangers but never encounter any when we go.

pods

Feb 18, 2014
Raleigh
Detector(s) used
BGT mini and prospector, Gold-n-Sand.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the info! I guess I will stick a bit closer to home. The last thing I want is to pack up the fam, hike in a mile, then get scolded for a #2 shovel and the Ranger leaving with my BGT.
Seeing that rule surprised me though. I remember seeing those rules and it specifically said sluices were okay.
Gold is in more areas than I would have thought. Even this far east (Wake county). First two creeks I hit contained gold, so that has made me look outside of the Carolina Slate belt. I still would like to hit Uwharrie though. You can get away from everyone out there.
Chris

wakeforestgold

Greenie
Jul 26, 2014
wake forest nc
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i want to go also this week

hi

well i like also to pan for gold. i have been to a chapter there where different people meet together to pan for gold. but as you might know it is better to be with one or few and search other creeks there for gold.
it well known for gold and there are many mines there. i have visited reed mine and i want to visit it again. i love the mine inside.

so please if you are planning to go this week let me know.

my name is karim
i am white m 46.
text me at any time day or night. 919-274-3060
i live in wake forest nc

Greetings NC TreasureNet,

I have recently found an interest in panning random creeks around my farm in Davidson County, NC. With little success, I'm just looking for a place to go once a month and get my panning fix in. I love the hobby and find a lot of joy in the adventure. I recently spoke with a man that directed me to go to UNF as a free panning location. Does anyone have any info they would like to share about UNF? I have a good map of the area but I'm not really sure where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated for this beginner!

Thanks in advance,

-V4D

crazykid

Aug 5, 2012
Asheboro NC
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD 20, Bazooka Gold Trap, Fisher gold bug pro.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is anyone familiar with how the rules are being enforced in Uwharrie as of now? I wanted to take a run there but always see conflicting rules and I am not driving 2 hours to simply pan.
"Materials must be removed using small hand tools without mechanical means or motorized equipment. Removing mineral materials with a pick, shovel, sluice box or similar large tools can cause significant impacts to resources is considered mechanical so therefore not allowed."

I know there is no dredging, and no bank or shelf mining, but it seems that now they are not going to allow a sluice or shovel?
I guess I could call the Ranger but it seems that you are down to hand or trowel and pan. The way of things I guess.
I do not recall seeing this rule a year ago when I looked into Uwharrie, but now it is there in plain text.
Chris

I called the UNF a couple of months ago. A sluice is fine but only up to four feet. Shovels are fine too. Ive had a bazooka gold trap for a couple of months and still havent had a chance to try it out. If you know of any good spots in Uwharrie or want to head up there sometime let me know. Im in Asheboro so Im really close to UNF.

crazykid

Aug 5, 2012
Asheboro NC
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD 20, Bazooka Gold Trap, Fisher gold bug pro.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Chris

I called the UNF a couple of months ago. A sluice is fine but only up to four feet. Shovels are fine too. Ive had a bazooka gold trap for a couple of months and still havent had a chance to try it out. If you know of any good spots in Uwharrie or want to head up there sometime let me know. Im in Asheboro so Im really close to UNF.

Dougaskew

Nov 29, 2014
Eastern NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

How did you do I just got back to eastern nc where I am from panned out my clean up of material only a few specks nothing to write home about.
Want to go back in the spring with my daughter any spots to try anywhere and camp

DynoGuy

Nov 10, 2013
Statesville, NC
Detector(s) used
Sluices: Bazooka 30" Prospector, Bazooka Super Mini and a folding A52 clone. Homemade 12" x 24" Miller table.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How did you do I just got back to eastern nc where I am from panned out my clean up of material only a few specks nothing to write home about.
Want to go back in the spring with my daughter any spots to try anywhere and camp

Pretty much any creek in URE. Also there is a couple of pay camp grounds in the forrest or there as some spots along side the access roads where you can camp for free (also when the trails are open April 1st-Dec 15th, you can camp trail side also).

Aufish

Feb 3, 2015
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been dieing to checkout a particular section of UNF for a long time, if anyone here has camped out there extensively... any major wildlife to worry about besides snakes?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread