Panning in Virginia

kmil10

Dec 30, 2012
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another newbie here with the fever. I was hoping for some tips on panning sites in Virginia. Been reading up on the gold mining history of Virginia. I live in Richmond area and eager to learn as much as I can about gold prospecting and metal detecting. Thanks also for this great resource....love reading the posts

Upvote 0

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Kmil10,
welcome to the net and the beautiful golden world. You have already done yourself a favor by joining the forum as there are alot of knowledgable folks on here. Also you have been researching. Your next step should be to find a local prospecting or metal detecting club to join. There are no GPAA clubs in Virginia but 3 in WV. They are as follows: Larry Board 304-742-5097 Craigesville WV, Jim DeWeese 304-882-2578 New Haven WV, and Joe Smoot 304-972-1976 Nitro WV. Maybe one of them are close to you. I'm sure they will be helpful.

Good Luck!

B H Prospector

OP
OP
K

kmil10

Dec 30, 2012
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you BH Prospector for the information. I joined the GPAA in November. I will be sure to reach out to a chapter nearest me as well as one of the folks listed to see if there a place near me to get my pan wet. Take care and thank you again

Ausquatcher81

Greenie
Jan 15, 2013
Hi Kmil10,

Newbie Prospector here as well and also just joined the GPAA. I live here in Va around the Charlottesville area. There is Central Virginia Gold Prospectors out of the Buckingham area as well as a GPAA chapter in Maryland that I joined recently thats 2.5 hrs from me and the ones in West Virginia that B H Prospector said. I know of a few places around here that are pretty good. Always down to getting some pans wet. Hope some of this info was helpful ;) Happy Prospecting!

OP
OP
K

kmil10

Dec 30, 2012
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Auscquatcher81...love the tag and thanks for the reply. I have checked out the Central Virginia club. Have you been to a meeting?

Ausquatcher81

Greenie
Jan 15, 2013
Kmil10,

No not yet. I missed the Nov one and they didn't have a dec or a jan meeting. The next one is feb 16th and I was planning on going to that one.

OP
OP
K

kmil10

Dec 30, 2012
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool.... It's the Frederick MD chapter? That's probably the closest to me. The GPAA I mean...

Ausquatcher81

Greenie
Jan 15, 2013
That's the one! I wish there was a closer one. I'm surprised there isn't a GPAA Chapter in VA honestly. Maybe I should contact the GPAA and start one for Central VA! ;) They all have to start somewhere right?! Have you been out prospecting anywhere yet?

OP
OP
K

kmil10

Dec 30, 2012
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In va not really. I am trying to find a spot. I have been out several times in W NC. That's what got me started and hooked really.

Ausquatcher81

Greenie
Jan 15, 2013
NC has some nice gold! I have only prospected at Vein,Thermal City and Uwharrie Forest there. Always looking for new places in VA,NC,TN areas. I found a good spot this past week and not far from my house, we will see if it pans out! :)

Ausquatcher81

Greenie
Jan 15, 2013
Yea. I looked into starting a GPAA Chapter and doesn't seem that difficult to do. If I wasn't planning on taking a year or longer trip to a few LDMA sites I would think about starting one myself.

OP
OP
K

kmil10

Dec 30, 2012
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow when are planning to do that? Someday I hope to do the LDMA. Kids getting in the way of my gold dreams.... But I wouldn't trade even a moment with them for all the gold

Ausquatcher81

Greenie
Jan 15, 2013
I was planning on early summer. But might take me till August to really get everything I need and things ready to go. So roughly 6 months from now. It should be a blast!

OP
OP
K

kmil10

Dec 30, 2012
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's really cool. Have you picked the sites? How long do you plan to be at each one?

Ausquatcher81

Greenie
Jan 15, 2013
I was thinking a month/6 weeks ish per LDMA camp, longer if finding good gold! Since I will be using it mainly for a campsite it's a lot cheaper and prolly somewhat safer being there vs staying at some random places. And I can go to diff locations around the area from the LDMA site to prospect,metal detect and all. I was thinking starting off heading through Tennessee to Colorado and from there prolly northern Cali to hit fall time so I can get some Squatching in up there. And stay in that area a few months.

OP
OP
K

kmil10

Dec 30, 2012
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So jealous....well at least if I ever get to it myself someone will be there to give me all of the tips

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should visit the little museum in Goldvein, VA, it's north and West of Fredericksburg, but check to see when they're open. Fluvanna County has gold in the streams. I've been told Contrary Creek still produces gold. There was a post on this forum recently. I have done better at the Cottonpatch Mine in New London, NC (you buy buckets) and at Crisson's Gold mine is GA. (same deal there). I did get small nuggest both places, but it's like fishing in a barrell.

Ausquatcher81

Greenie
Jan 15, 2013
Hi Smokey,

Nvr have been to Goldvein,va. I need to go soon. And yes. I know for a fact Fluvanna has gold in it :D hehehe And as for CC in Louisa, yes there is good gold there too but that place has so many other heavy minerals its just a hard place to do anything other than dredge or high bank. I have been to cc maybe 6 times and it is hard, and a harder place to learn to pan at. I never have been to louden. Sounds like a interesting place. I just don't like the idea of paying. But that's me. I'm tight lol

OP
OP
K

kmil10

Dec 30, 2012
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks smokeythecat for the suggestions. I am ready to go explore some creek and stream beds starting first in Goochland, then Louisa and work further out until I have some luck. Starting from Richmond (where I live) I know I be driving more than panning. Are there any specific streams other than Contrary Creek that have been worthwhile? I plan to make the trip there pretty soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread