Panning samples at home from dry area problem

Mar 7, 2016
Moore, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am taking samples in waterless land to pan at home, I have alot of water beading up, maybe from using new plastic pans and containers. I treid a drop of dishwashing soap in the water but I still have the problem, any sugguestions on the best thing to use for breaking down surface tension?

First off, have you seasoned the pans?

Jet-dry my friend. Just a few drops will break the surface tension.

EDIT - Jeff Williams may seem like a crazy old kook, but he definitely knows his gold. Here's a video on how to season a pan if you don't know how. He covers both metal and plastic pans.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

chuckinnc

Aug 20, 2009
western,nc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, have you seasoned the pans?

Jet-dry my friend. Just a few drops will break the surface tension.

EDIT - Jeff Williams may seem like a crazy old kook, but he definitely knows his gold. Here's a video on how to season a pan if you don't know how. He covers both metal and plastic pans.

Thanks, I will check the video out, I have seasoned metal frying pans in the past but didn't know you could season plastic.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use 400-600 grit sandpaper for the plastic pans. Takes less of a bite out of the plastic.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A scotch pad and some dish soap works well.

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did the gold panning booth at the elementary school science fair for the past 2 years..

The first year I hand seasoned with dish soap, sand paper, gravel and scotch pads... 15 pans I think I did... It took forever and
then we gave them all away..

The second year, I wasn't much in the mood and tossed all the new pans in the sand blasting cabinet.. Less than a minute each... Obviously
not putting the nooozle right on the plastic, but keeping a moderate 6-10 inch distance.. Then into the soapy water.. Some required a
touchup, but they came out beautiful.. Nice and uniform, no big scratches, and NO BEADING water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread