Panning Southwest Massachusetts and near disaster!

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
No hunting in MA on Sundays and the hurricane is supposed to hit later tonight so decided to head out to check out a new river.

Checked out one of the state forests, I saw on Google Earth what looked like a nice river and hear there was a campground as well.
First check the river and saw an extremely swift flow of water, and we haven't had any rain lately. The picture is below, I saw alot of bedrock.

The access is very steep and the water is deep. Then drove to the campground and found a small brook with a medium flow of water. I didn't see any bedrock and decided to check several areas with a pan. My wife would look at the stream and see some sand on the surface and say "pan here, there is sand" I told her I wanted to work around the rocks, but she insisted I work the sand. I had to, to humor her, didn't find anything not even garnets in the sand.

I had my jacket turned inside out since it is hunters orange on the inside. I then put my car keys in the pocket, can you see where this is going? anyhow the pockets have snaps but they face forwards when the jacket is inside out. I dug one test hole and didn't find anything in 4 pans, a few very small garnets and minimal if any black sand. I then went to a larger rock and started digging under it, did 3 pans and decided to take my jacket off. As I put it on the rock I realized that my keys were MISSING. I called my wife and told her I lost the car keys, 5 miles from the nearest house. Evidentally there was enough room for the keys to fall out of the pocket even though snapped as I leaned forward to pan. I immeadiatly started retracing my steps and as I got to the last place I panned, down under the water I saw the plastic scan cards sticking up in the water, only the top half of them, I couldn't see the keys but reached down and grabbed them, MY KEYS!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW LUCKY I WAS TO FIND THEM! What are the odds I would find them!

I am still shaking from how close I was to disaster!

HubbardRiver.jpg

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you found the keys :icon_thumleft:

Ever since I just about froze to death 20 some odd years ago waiting for my wife to show up with a spare key for my truck I've kept a spare hidden in a magnetic box under all my vehicles.

That little trick has come in handy more than once. :tongue3:

GG~

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I still can't believe how lucky I was to find the keys! I have 20 keys on the ring, the house, for work, my gun safes, the train club and more. I should have left them in the car, it has a keyless entry, although I don't know how to hotwire a car.

I am still amazed I was able to find them!

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Happens to the best of us. :)

I do one of two things when I leave the car, I will put the keys in the console and leave the window down enough for me to reach in and unlock it if I am close to the car.
Or if I am going a ways away I put the keys right up against the backside of the tire and kick some dirt over it and try to make it look like nothing was there.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Side note: - I have found many "forest service" type keys within 50 feet of the locked "green gates". Usually they are hidden under rocks a few feet away, or
hanging on the backside of trees. Lets keep this just amongst ourselves, ok?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
My luck I would get a mile up a forest service road and the ranger would lock the gate!

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Side note: - I have found many "forest service" type keys within 50 feet of the locked "green gates". Usually they are hidden under rocks a few feet away, or
hanging on the backside of trees. Lets keep this just amongst ourselves, ok?

I like that. You know I'll be looking. Someone told me BLM combo locks are sometimes set to the section numbers where the gate is located but I haven't tried it yet.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
always keep a spare key hidden on your vehical and if out on FS public land ,keep a way to saw the lock off the gate if locked in!and,DONT LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!:):)

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW, in your pic, that's some nice bedrock showing on left side of creek. The sand behind the little bedrock shelf, in extreme lower left, is where i would start
to sample!

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Funny now that you mention it I hadn't noticed the sand! I think the area is closed down now until ice out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread