paper vs plastic

drcaulfield

Feb 22, 2013
your reject tray
Primary Interest:
Other
merc dime.jpg I have not been doing this a long time....started about 2 weeks ago. I have gone through roughly 8 boxes of dimes and found 5 roosevelt dimes and one 44 merc. It is interesting to not that I have found them all in the clear plastic wrapped rolls that my local bank is kind enough to let me examine and return 5 minutes later.

I have been skunked in every paper roll I have undone.

Has anyone else had this type of luck?

I also have a newbie question.......since these coins are bought and dumped locally do they then go to a central brinks depot to be rewrapped if returned in bags to my local bank? it would seem to me that a specific geographic area serviced by say brinks would simply be recirculating the same coins over and over and so a area with a bunch of CRHers would have serious diminished returns. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
That's funny, I've searched hundreds of thousands in dimes and never get any silvers in the plastic, because they are Brinks, and Brinks, well, you know....culls - I mean services Coinstar, which rejects silver.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
That's funny, I've searched hundreds of thousands in dimes and never get any silvers in the plastic, because they are Brinks, and Brinks, well, you know....culls - I mean services Coinstar, which rejects silver.

I search Brinks, and you know I find Silver, now, I ( as well as everyone else I'm sure) wish they would wrap halves in plastic, wouldn't that be cool! HH, Maverick.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it doesn't matter to me, i average roughly the same in either style wrapper.

CopperHoarder

Dec 23, 2012
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Don't use one yet.
Primary Interest:
Other
I only do pennies since my funds aren't great right now ;p but I just got 2 brinks boxes for the first time and the first box had 25 wheats in it o.o can't wait to go through the next box. These are plastics I'm going through :) Hated the paper.. always a huge mess to clean up I just cut down the middle of the plastic tap em out and throw them in the box.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you cut down the middle of those wrappers don't you also put cuts into your coins?

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I also have a newbie question.......since these coins are bought and dumped locally do they then go to a central brinks depot to be rewrapped if returned in bags to my local bank? it would seem to me that a specific geographic area serviced by say brinks would simply be recirculating the same coins over and over and so a area with a bunch of CRHers would have serious diminished returns. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Thanks

Yes, for the most part.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread