Parcel select

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
I was wondering that myself. Supposedly parcel select is the discounted online version of standard post, however if you type in identical address and shipping info, one on USPS.com and one on Ebay the parcel select savings is .05 cents. Which sucks since heavy or big stuff going to the west coast now costs a fortune. There is no ebay discount for parcel select. In the past I exclusively shipped through USPS but now that fedex is discounted through ebay you should look into it. Outside of 1st class mail and 1-2 pound priority packages I use fedex for all my bigger heavy stuff 90% of the time.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I just sold something with it. I hope I make a little bit off of it.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the prices on both priority and parcel select before shipping. You may find priority is cheaper or pretty close to the same price. With priority you get $50 insurance included and the customer gets "upgraded" shipping.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, surprisingly priority is normally cheaper for me. However, this time it was not, because the box is bigger. Hey 2ndisbest, thanks a lot for recommending fedex. I was only going to make 21 cents shipping it usps, but now with fedex, instead of shipping being $29.95, it will be about $15, which is fine with me. If everything works out with this one, then I'll be using them more often.

Ursus

Apr 3, 2009
Ohio
Yeah, surprisingly priority is normally cheaper for me. However, this time it was not, because the box is bigger. Hey 2ndisbest, thanks a lot for recommending fedex. I was only going to make 21 cents shipping it usps, but now with fedex, instead of shipping being $29.95, it will be about $15, which is fine with me. If everything works out with this one, then I'll be using them more often.

Oh I gotta check out FedEx this weekend. Thanks all!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the deal with parcel select?
I chose that when listing an auction and the item sold. I went to my post office to ship that way and they never even heard of that term. Their computer did not have it either. I lost money on the shipping of that auction. Now I guess ebay is even making up stuff to make it better for the buyer and screw the seller.

Fortuneatly when I got back from the post office I was able to go into my auctions and change to parcel post.

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Parcel Select is only available on-line. The local PO doesn't offer it.
Also, I've found P Select is only cheaper than Priority for heavy items.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I chose that when listing an auction and the item sold. I went to my post office to ship that way and they never even heard of that term. Their computer did not have it either. I lost money on the shipping of that auction. Now I guess ebay is even making up stuff to make it better for the buyer and screw the seller.

Fortuneatly when I got back from the post office I was able to go into my auctions and change to parcel post.

Why aren't you printing out your postage from ebay? Heck of a lot cheaper.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a lot cheaper. You should consider that.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why aren't you printing out your postage from ebay? Heck of a lot cheaper.

I have too many printers right now. I use my label printer for shipping labels. Do you really trust ebay to get shipping charges correct? There are so many rules for shipping things how is ebay going to know exactly what I just sold based on weight?

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a label printer. I choose print a shipping label and I get the price before I pay. I don't see how it gets any easier. I also know for a fact that it's cheaper to print out postage online than it costs at the Post Office.

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
I have too many printers right now. I use my label printer for shipping labels. Do you really trust ebay to get shipping charges correct? There are so many rules for shipping things how is ebay going to know exactly what I just sold based on weight?

When shipping through ebay you input the dimensions and weight. Your weight and dimensions (if applicable) are printed on the label. If the PO notices a difference then they can reject the package until you get a proper label or pay the difference. I have never had problems with the USPS and shipping payment.

Also ebay uses their size to give shipping discount to sellers. Personally fedex would never been worth it until ebay and fedex teamed up. Once they got a lower rate for their sellers it become well worth it on certain items. Fedex still has its issues with not delivering to PO boxes and BFE residential locations though.

Though I must say it is definitely worth it to look into buying shipping online, saves you money and saves you time printing out labels, and saves you time standing in line at the PO.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread