Park at the Creek

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
I hit an area again today that I have been hunting on and off for the last couple of months. It is full of clad and a few goodies here and there. 1 - 2005 Canadian 25 cent and a side of a crossman bb rifle were the highlights. Plus my little dude found a trailer ball that he cleaned for an hour in the sink, that was worth the whole trip.

What is up with dimes in the early to late 80's turning red? It seems to be the only coins I find that do so around here in this soil condition.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 614
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 611
Upvote 0

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
lol glad you and the lil dude got to get out and find stuff. Looks like you did rather nicely even! I have no clue on the red dimes but hopefully someone can answer that one. Congrats on a beautiful fun day!

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the ACE 250 is doing a find job for you. Congrats!

HH, Ringfinder

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
What ?! No picture of the trailer ball ???

Do the little dude proud & post it too !

(They're only little for a little while)

Diggem'

myelo1023

Jul 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett pinpointer
Shaw said:
I hit an area again today that I have been hunting on and off for the last couple of months. It is full of clad and a few goodies here and there. 1 - 2005 Canadian 25 cent and a side of a crossman bb rifle were the highlights. Plus my little dude found a trailer ball that he cleaned for an hour in the sink, that was worth the whole trip.

What is up with dimes in the early to late 80's turning red? It seems to be the only coins I find that do so around here in this soil condition.

yep, found those red dimes myself today....and had a '75 in there too...must be the copper alloy? :icon_scratch:

And I echo the others sentiments...where is little Kyle"s pictures????

OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
Thanks guys and gals.

Ask and you shall receive. ;D ;D, He keeps me laughing on most of my hunts -

Attachments

• Kyle ball hitch.jpg
    Kyle ball hitch.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 550

myelo1023

Jul 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett pinpointer
Shaw said:
Thanks guys and gals.

Ask and you shall receive. ;D ;D, He keeps me laughing on most of my hunts -

he is so dang cute!! That pointers as big as he is!! Tell him Aunt Susan said "way to go!" :thumbsup: (and that I love him!)

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
clad dimes do turn red in the ground, when their copper composition comes into contact with fertilizers and mostly wet areas........NGE

OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
notgittinenny ( treasures ) said:
clad dimes do turn red in the ground, when their copper composition comes into contact with fertilizers and mostly wet areas........NGE

Thanks NGE. It would explain the exact areas that these dimes have been found. All of the red dimes I dig are in areas that have nice lush bermuda in the side areas of our local parks. Mainly with sprinkler systems and I am sure judging by the grass it is fertilized. Makes perfect sense.

Thanks again.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Priceless Shaw..... ;D :thumbsup:

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Shaw, have you ever hunted in the little tidal pools and find clad quarters that look like double edged razor blades? The copper that is sandwiched between the two nickel halves is eaten away by the salt water and leaves the nickel "razor edges", but be very careful handling them, they are as sharp as they look!..........NGE

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
GREAT LOOKING KID. BE CAREFUL HE WILL PROBABLY GET ALL THE GOOD FINDS. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
notgittinenny ( treasures ) said:
Shaw, have you ever hunted in the little tidal pools and find clad quarters that look like double edged razor blades? The copper that is sandwiched between the two nickel halves is eaten away by the salt water and leaves the nickel "razor edges", but be very careful handling them, they are as sharp as they look!..........NGE

Not yet NGE.

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Shaw looks like you made good finds. The gun part is very interesting. What creek are you hunting.

OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
Old River said:
Shaw looks like you made good finds. The gun part is very interesting. What creek are you hunting.

The creek is called Peach Creek, It runs here through the North East side of Houston. There have been a few arrowheads pulled out of it as well.

Thanks again,

Jason

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
nice job on the finds! Yeah I have noticed that too. Whenever I dig dimes in the 80's usually they are either red or blkac. Mostly red though. I think it has to do something with the soil. Thats my guess. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions