Park Finds

treasure_lady

Jan 17, 2005
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I went back to the same park that I found the wheatie yesterday.. oldest coins today were a 1959, 1961, and a 1964 penny. Found one nickle, nine dimes and 24 total pennies. Eight of the dimes were in the same hole! Also found the token, a broken pair of glasses, part of a toy car, 2 nails and a few pull-tabs, and lots of gum and candy wrappers. There were about 10 teenagers (14 and 15 year olds), in the park..that keep asking me questions and coming over to see what I was finding. Thank goodness..they all seemed friendly enough..but their language left a lot to be desired when they were talking with each other...potty mouths! I know that isn't unusual now-a-adays..but when I was a kid..if I had let out even one of those words they used..my mom would have grabbed the bar of ivory soap to wash my mouth out! One kid claims he lost an expensive 14 kt gold band ring about a month ago..when he was throwing a snowball...and asked if I had found it. I said no..and that I hadn't detected where there was a lot of snow still on the ground. Later his friends came back..right before dark..and asked if I had found "Joe's" ring...again I said no. If I do find a man's ring..I will check with his parents to see if indeed their son lost a ring and I need a good description of it. All the kid said was it was a 14 kt. gold band.
I asked the kids why there were so many pennies in the park..and they said..pennies aren't any good..nobody wants them! My husband said at the school where he works..he finds pennies on the floor all the time.. and that the kids use them as projectiles! Times they are achangin'!

Attachments

• coinsMondayup.JPG
    coinsMondayup.JPG
    9.7 KB · Views: 669
  • tokenup.JPG
    tokenup.JPG
    9.5 KB · Views: 651
Upvote 0

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's
great finds! of course i enjoy and try to find older items but i still get a kick out of clads and jewelry or mostly anything i dig up!

bigrig

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job! 8) ?
Seems that things have'nt changed a whole lot in some aspects as we used to whip pennies at each other and everyone else when we were young too. ?

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Nice finds TL. ?I've been finding a bunch of pennies at the schools too. ?Sounds like those kids are just fishin'. ?Be careful OK? ?Kids are willing to do things we thought unthinkable in our day. ?Take along the old man when you go. ?HH~CO2

OP
OP
treasure_lady

treasure_lady

Jan 17, 2005
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I'll probably go when they are in school! ;D They were off today because of the holiday. The best park for detecting downtown (the oldest), has the worse reputation..especially in the evening. I will go there in the mornings also..or take hubby with me on the weekends. Thanks for the warning.

zommbee

Jan 31, 2005
Tacoma, WA
I once found 113 pennies in the sand under the swings in a local park - all in ONE place.
My 7 year old daughter had a ball digging them, but I got really bored with the spot after
about 50 or 60 came up! Seems some kid just dumped out a piggy bank, and only
kept the quarters! Makes me wonder why we don't alter our system of pricing and
sales tax to eliminate the need for pennies in change - they really have become a
pain for some folks! And if you don't believe me, try dumping a buck and a half
in modern clad in a sand pile and digging them one by one!!

Dave
Zommbee

qeylya

Greenie
Jan 4, 2005
Louisville, KY
zommbee said:
I once found 113 pennies in the sand under the swings in a local park - all in ONE place.
My 7 year old daughter had a ball digging them, but I got really bored with the spot after
about 50 or 60 came up! Seems some kid just dumped out a piggy bank, and only
kept the quarters! Makes me wonder why we don't alter our system of pricing and
sales tax to eliminate the need for pennies in change - they really have become a
pain for some folks! And if you don't believe me, try dumping a buck and a half
in modern clad in a sand pile and digging them one by one!!

Dave
Zommbee

Imagine how thing guy feels...lol
http://j-walkblog.com/blog/comments/A15679_0_1_0_C/

greenswinger

Feb 17, 2005
ms
Was at local school mding . 10 or 12 kids were crowding around looking and asking questions . one girl about 12 wanted to see a quarter i had just dug . ?i opened my hand and held it out . she grabbed quarter and they all ran !! she was yelling....got that white mans money...got that white mans money !!!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Treasure, think the token is Chinese Yin/Yang symbol for peace/tranquility or such which is what mding is all about. As far as ring goes, if I found it I probably wouldn't be in too big a hurry to return it unless I was on good terms w/parents and darn sure wouldn't show it to them 1st and then would need a real good description as just a gold band doesn't cut it.

OP
OP
treasure_lady

treasure_lady

Jan 17, 2005
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks for the comments and thanks stoney for the id on the token...also for the advice concerning the possible ring find (which may have just been a story to see if I had found any rings).

S

SonjaMarie

Well don't diss pennies too much. For many years I collected them, saving what I had from store or picking them up when I saw them on the ground. And in 2001 I rolled them all took them to the bank and got $50 or more (can't remember full amount) to use toward my trip to England that Sept. It came in handy.

Sonja Marie

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
You see? We all knew that the FEEL FOR FINDS would creep into your bones. You're addicted now & there is no turning back. Great job. I was sabatoged by my cell phone today. I drove 20 miles to the Columbia River to hunt in a beach park. Just as I arrived the phone went off.
" Sorry, but I need you back here in an hour to go pick someone up from school." ( Baby setting) & the school was 23 miles the oposite way of where I had just arrived. I still found just about a buck in clad in 45 min though, so I was fairly content. Nice job on your finds. I also like to hunt where I an unobserved & uninterrupted. Spotz

OP
OP
treasure_lady

treasure_lady

Jan 17, 2005
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Life gets in the way sometimes doesn't it? Good that you got to do some detecting anyway! I went out today and found 1 dime, 2 nickels, and 14 pennies.. oldest 1962, a basketball charm, and a pair of clip on sunglasses.. and lots of misc. junk. So not a lot today but still enjoyed getting out. The teens came to the park just as I was leaving..so that worked out fine! :D

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Marcia, just a thought on those teens. I may be out in left field, but 14-15 yr are more likely to pull something than an 18 yr old cause they know they can get away with a lot more. Don't let them buffalo you as you have as much right to the park as they do. It too sounds like if they think you found a ring that most are gold bands and that you will just let them have it. That is one reason to have a hunting partner-a little extra security and instant bragging rights. I.E. best find buys lunch. HH

OP
OP
treasure_lady

treasure_lady

Jan 17, 2005
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I don't know a soul that metal detects in my area.. so that's good and bad right? I live 8 miles outside of a small town...in the country. Hubby has gone with me once...guess he would rather stay home and watch sci fi on tv or play on the computer! I love being outdoors! Winter is hard on this old lady..so I'm getting out every chance I get as the weather improves... alone or otherwise! :)

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
You probably heard what they say play young stay young. Now I started out with the sci-fi bug still have the urge to watch any Star Trek show on, but have to get out of the house once in a while cause I drive the wife crazy quoting dialog 1-2 sec. before actor does. She says like listening to close captioning instead of reading it. HAHA Just keep diggin and HH

OP
OP
treasure_lady

treasure_lady

Jan 17, 2005
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I got an email about the wheatie.. with an estimated value of $32.50... not bad for a penny find huh? :)
That's a bummer about your nickle! Kids can sure be brats at times!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread