Park hunt, + Nickel Day #3 w/ Mikewaz

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Yo.

Alright, well, so I had about an hour and a half to spare yesterday (Saturday), so I headed to the park that never gives up silver coins, but teases me with countless wheats. I was determined as ever to find one gashdarn silver coin, but it didn't happen. I did pull 6 wheats, 1934, 1941, 1945, 1949, 1952 D, and one so crusty, the date is illegible. I don't understand...the park dates to the 1920s, and ALWAYS gives up wheats...but nary a silver coin. I did, however, dig a small silver ring marked "sterling" from about 6 inches. It is pretty small and might be a toe ring. Also dug some clad.

Today, I headed over to the camp, expecting a small army there, but when I got there, I was alone. Mikewaz showed up so we headed over to the same area I've been working. Only one wheat cent (1944 D), but seven nickels- 1934 buff, 1936 buff, 1940, 1941, 1944 P silver, 1956, and 1977. I also found two more 1911 pins and some Methodist button without the pin. It was nice outside, too cool for bugs but also a lot of sun. Mike found some interesting items, a wheat, and we both found some more flatware to be used at our T-Net Thanksgiving clambake. :D I was hoping for more company, but I'll bet that friggin' World Series game caused a lot of late arisings. Hope you all did well this weekend, hope to see some of you next week.

Joe

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 192

trash n cash

Oct 14, 2007
Algonquin IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac / Garrett pro pointer
Good job on nickles... I was there at 8:45 and parked by a rodeo and a honda. I waited and looked around for people,but I didn't know your location, or if I parked in the right spot. I didnt see any tracks in the area so I'm guessing you went across the street to hunt south of Devon. I was around long enough to train a squirrel to eat my pistachio nut pile on the back of my truck. Went back home and scouted some abandoned farm foundations In McHenry co. All in all no big deal for me. Just a missed opportunity to hunt with you guys. Next weekend is going to be nice. We should form up an interested hunting party, so I can get to see ya guys. Ive watched the video's by treasure fiend and his guests. Cool! Well anyways maybe next weekend. Mike

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Trash,

Aww crap! We waited until about 8:40 before getting to the camp. Mike was expecting a call from his friend, thought he was going to show up, but he didn't. The Honda and Rodeo would be us (Joe and Mike). We just missed you. Sorry about not being there, like I said, no one else showed up so we thought we were to be the only ones. I promise you next time I'll take you out there and I'll give you the first silver nickel I find! :icon_pirat:

Glad you like TreasureFiend's videos. Thanks to that guy, I've become a minor celebrity figure. People used to give me strange looks. Now they say, "Hey, I know you from TreasureFiend's videos!"...while giving me strange looks.

How are those farm sites by you looking? Ever pull anything substantial out of any?

Joe (who evidently has abandonment issues so severe he inadvertently abondons others) Doh! :boxing:

maxmoney

Sep 15, 2008
Bloomington Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini-3, Ace 250, Cen-Tech pinpointer
Sorry no one showed :-\ . If I lived in that area I would have been up for a hunt. I hit up two tot lots this morning and am getting ready to go out and hit up my third in about half an hour. I thought I got a 1940's nickle but after I wiped it off I discovered another 9 (1994)..rats ;D. Congrats on the nice finds.

trash n cash

Oct 14, 2007
Algonquin IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac / Garrett pro pointer
Nah, It's not like that. No silver needs to be held for ransom. Those spots look good I've not hunted them I just figure old place, old diggs possible. If I get onto one without law hassle I will tell you guys to come on by.
My policy is I'm hunting for social not economical gain. Like trap shooting and archery its all about the weekend.

Pocket Spill

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Great finds Joe. You are on a silver nickel steak. Seems like your observation of some Chicago parks is similar to mine. There are a few older ones on the north side that I have gone to that are old and I find wheats but no silver.

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Pocket Spill said:
Great finds Joe. You are on a silver nickel steak. Seems like your observation of some Chicago parks is similar to mine. There are a few older ones on the north side that I have gone to that are old and I find wheats but no silver.

Pocket,

Yeah man, you'd think with the wheats there'd be at least a few silver. I've dug some silver out of the parks this year, but most has been from the camp.

The camp is loaded with war nickels. I've gotten 15 silver nickels this year so far, 14 from the camp. A lot of activity there during that time; we also found a lot of wheats and mercs from the forties, as well.

Joe

Pocket Spill

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Joe,
If the camp was real active in the 1940s that makes sense as to why the older coins you guys are finding there (i.e. TF's barber quarter) are pretty worn as they were likely lost in the 1940s. Barbers could still be found in circulation then.

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
It was a nice day to get my butt kicked by Joe. Seemed like every time I looked in his direction he was holding up another freshly dug Buffalo. He's deadly on those nickles with his M6.

Sorry we missed you Mike. We were looking forward to meeting you. Guess we got some signals crossed.
It'd probably be a good idea to trade cell numbers before the next time out.

Hopefully we'll have some nice Indian summer days to get in a few more hunts before the weather gets nasty.

Take care!
Mike

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Joe you nickel killer! Couldn't get out today, was busy roasting the pot. Uhh, pot roast that is. Sounds like you guys had a great time as always. Hey Trash whenever you want to hit Elgin up come on down 31 and I'll give you the tour.

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Pocket Spill said:
Joe,
If the camp was real active in the 1940s that makes sense as to why the older coins you guys are finding there (i.e. TF's barber quarter) are pretty worn as they were likely lost in the 1940s. Barbers could still be found in circulation then.

Absolutely. TF and I have pulled three Barbers collectively this year from the camp so far, nickel, dime, quarter. All are fairly worn, the nickel more so. Eventually, with the help of my loupe, I was able to get a solid date off of the V, it is an 1896, somewhat of a "semi-key" date, with less of these issued than many other years. Of course, we've also found a number of dateless buffalo nickels. Most with a date are from the late 30's, right before the Jeffersons were issued.

The sharpest coins we've found have been some truly exceptional mercs. We've both found some that look like they were dropped right off the assembly line (1940's).

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread