Park Hunt shows Promise

Jamie1993

Feb 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been awhile since I posted any of my finds. I mostly have not found anything worthy of posting until today.
I decided to do a quick 3 hour search of a park I have been eyeing for awhile.
The first find of the day was a sterling silver cross marked 925 sterling.
IMG_0266.JPG IMG_0268.JPG
The second nice find while gridding the park was a Reed & Barton Sterling Baby spoon. It was 10 inches deep with a 70-72 on the AT Pro. Imagine my surprise when I finally retrieved it from the hole. My first thought was British Sterling but it turned out to be spoon produced by Reed & Barton. There is a paten date of Oct.9,1894 on the stem of the spoon. The Reed & Barton company is out of Massachusetts
IMG_0273.JPG IMG_0275.JPG IMG_0278.JPG IMG_0276.JPG
The last hole of the day really made it one of the best days hunting at 4" deep a 10 kt aquamarine ring popped out. There is the name of Jason etched into the ring. The ring had a ring guard on it so I got a bouncy signal of 50-53 on the AT Pro, almost didn't dig it, but then I remembered dig it all.
IMG_0281.JPG IMG_0282.JPG
Thanks for viewing and have yourself a great weekend.

Upvote 20
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice finds! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Jamie1993

Jamie1993

Feb 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Trapperart. I'm hoping someone can help me date the spoon. I can't find the date mark on it.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
looks pretty good to me, congrats. The soil where I am detecting now has caused us some miss IDing. Memorials reading all over the place. Silver dimes reading lower than normal and others normal. So I dig almost everything and I get surprised pretty regularly. There are areas that are just terrible on wheaties and buffs but not everywhere. It's not just my Deus, my wife's AT Gold is doing the same thing. With as many good things that we are digging, it is dig everything. good luck on the new spot

OP
OP
Jamie1993

Jamie1993

Feb 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Professor & Dirtlooter. We just got some rain yesterday. The top 2" is soft and then concrete underneath. Hope to get back there tomorrow.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on having a great hunt. :occasion14: I guess we know where you'll be swinging the coil for a while. :icon_thumleft: I'd grid that place in 3 directions and then maybe hit some trashy areas with a sniper coil.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Jamie ! I think the spoon dates circa 1900 -(give or take 10 years) I think it may be a condiment spoon rather than baby because it has the protruding flanges on either side - sugar ,or jelly ,etc.

OP
OP
Jamie1993

Jamie1993

Feb 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The top of spoon wraps around and has place that it was soldered at base of the bowl.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well , it may be the case that it was put into use by the owner to feed the wee one , but with the rather intrusive flanges on the side , I remain doubtful that the piece was originally created as a baby spoon .

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds.
51-52 on the AT PRO is usually a nickel although I did get an 18kt Gold/Onyx men's ring on a 51.
That spoon would make a nice spoon ring.
Congratulations

OP
OP
Jamie1993

Jamie1993

Feb 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, ATW & Trezurehunter. The idea of making into a ring never crossed my mind. I'll have to look into it.

OP
OP
Jamie1993

Jamie1993

Feb 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Argentium,
I found a similar spoon on Ebay with same floral pattern. That's what gave me the idea it was a wrapped handle baby spoon.
reed & Barton Baby spoon.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread