goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have a dfx and i would set it to a medium sensitive mode. That way you'll tune out most of the canslaw and be able to see the clad add up

HH
-GC

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
The problem with the prizmII is if you discriminate everything except for the last three coin symbols your going to miss nickles because you cant disc. the rest without xing out the nickle symbol too(i wish i could figure a way around this)but if you do choose to do so you will only find coins,that has been my experience.Hope this makes a bit of sense as do i hope your using the prizmII otherwise null this whole post

Mobes

Oct 4, 2007
Westmont IL
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV
Im pritty new to the hobby myself and I just bought a Prism IV and it's the same way. I know what ya mean wish there was a better way not sure there is though. I think if you want to try and get the good stuff you just have to dig everything.

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
Mobes said:
Im pritty new to the hobby myself and I just bought a Prism IV and it's the same way. I know what ya mean wish there was a better way not sure there is though. I think if you want to try and get the good stuff you just have to dig everything.

Very true mobes i use to disc. out nickles,but the day i did leave from the nickle symbol open(only disc. out iron/foil) i found a 1923 Buffalo and a 1911 V nickle.After that i refuse to discriminate out nickles,it's worth digging a few junk signals to get the good stuff.

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UnEarthed72 said:
The problem with the prizmII is if you discriminate everything except for the last three coin symbols your going to miss nickles because you cant disc. the rest without xing out the nickle symbol too(i wish i could figure a way around this)but if you do choose to do so you will only find coins,that has been my experience.Hope this makes a bit of sense as do i hope your using the prizmII otherwise null this whole post

You can notch out the nickles. Watch your video again.

R

robert roy

On my MXT I have a little triangle like mark that represents "factory preset" for starting out. Don't you have that on the Prizm? Did you get a DVD with your MD?

Robert R

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
Kas said:
UnEarthed72 said:

You can notch out the nickles. Watch your video again.

Kas are you saying that there is a way to disc. out iron,foil,tabs,bottle caps/zinc..and still be able to get nickle hit...i have not seen the video nor do i have it.The only way i know to get nickle hits while discriminating out everything up to the cent/quarter/50-dollar is to just keep an eye on the meter and watch for the arrow under the 5 center because it will show it but no beep.

would you mind posting how what your talking about is done

~Shawn~

K-Man

Apr 12, 2007
marinette, wi
the prizms are all like in the same way its just that the prizmIV has a smart notch where u can discrim all the way up to the zinc and if u hit the smart notch on the prizmIV it will only discrim the iron,foil,tabs,bottle caps/zinc on the prizmII and III if u discrim the nickel to then the 1c 25c and 50c/$ are the only ones open so if u wanna find nickel u have to either watch the screen if u discrim it or just discrim the iron/foil. (k-man)

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want to find nickels (along with other coins), turn on the Prizm II and don't set the disc (don't adjust anything after it's turned on). Now go over a nickel..it should show a solid 5 cent reading on your display. I use this "factory" setting when coin shooting. Sometimes I set the sensitivity a notch higher but usually not all the way up.

If the 5 cent reading is "iffy" it could be a nickel or junk, but the strong meter reading is usually a nickel.

Hope this helps!

Nat

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I use my Prizm III I set the descrimination to block out only nails and run the sensitivty 1 notch from the highest and dig everything....I;ve ahd silver dimes register as pulltabs and rings register as foil....so you could be missing out if you have these items blocked. One nice ring makes it worthwhile digging all those "junk" readings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread