cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How old is the park?

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Did you research the park before you hunted? I only hunt parks that are older than 1940 and prefer the ones much older. My research has never let me down. I always will find wheats or silver. And don't forget the schools. The best research method I use is google. I try to find maps of towns from the 1800's to 1940. They will show the parks, schools and much more.

OP
OP
jimzz977

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two parks were from the 1930s and park is oldest park in town it is located in the historial distrtict. I see you tube and see everyone finding silver rosies,merc,barber. I havent found a single silver coin. Maybe I doing something wrong or need a better detector

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to realize that almost all parks have been hunted heavily over the years and the obvious silver coin hits are just not there. That's not saying that there isn't silver coins still remaining, they're just more difficult to find.
Look for clusters of signals where it's possible that a good target is mixed in with junk. Pay attention to "Iffy" signals. Clear away junk or use a smaller coil to weed through the multiple signals. Check the perimeter of the park and look for grown in spots or bushes.
Go there with a different mindset than what the average detectorist might have. Think outside the box!
The obvious places still have goodies, it just takes more effort to extract them.
Good luck!
Dave.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
jimzz977 said:
Two parks were from the 1930s and park is oldest park in town it is located in the historial distrtict. I see you tube and see everyone finding silver rosies,merc,barber. I havent found a single silver coin. Maybe I doing something wrong or need a better detector

I don't pay much attention or believe all that I see on you tube. You should not either.

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
You should also consider going to places far off the beaten track - there are lots of towns in the USA that were reasonably populated before WWII that have lost most of their population by now. Many are in farming communities. If you go to places where you are competing with hundreds of other people with metal detectors, your finds will likely be less.

Look at joining a metal detecting club - they often work to get access to places that you would never be allowed to go to. Also, start looking at finding sites that are private (do your research to find out what areas might be of interest), and try to get access. Also, think outside the box - don't just guess where the high traffic areas are and quit looking after you find little there (you are probably not the only one who detected there), look at places where someone might have hidden things (old chicken coops, fence posts) - banks were not well trusted in the 1930's, so people tended to keep things where they knew they were safe.

Current Parks, Tot-Lots and School grounds are the first areas that people think of to metal detect at - Most have had a lot of people pick them over. Don't blame your detector, create a coin garden and hone your skills, then seek out new places.

Note: if you are in an area of high mineralization (ie. lots of hot rocks), you might need a much better metal detector.

I don't intentionally coin hunt anymore. I used to relic hunt (ie. dig everything that beeps) and dug up many trash dumps and outhouse pits at remote sites. I found my first gold ring when I was not looking for it - It was in an area abandoned around 100 years ago. It was near the outhouse pit. Obviously, there was a lot of foot traffic to that area.

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the YouTube video's are fake to feed someone elses ego. Planted coins and what not. Don't believe it. Silver being very counductive is easy to find and possibly most of it has been found by those older detectors or old guys. Hunt in the hard to hunt areas, like bushes as they might not have been there years ago. Dig the iffy signals too. Don't pay attention to any meter.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sandman is correct. Listen to what your machine is telling you and not what the meter says. I am old school. I bought my first detector, White's 5000-D in 1979, and you had to learn the different tones as to whether to dig or not. I do the same today with my MXT PRO. I listen for the signal and do not rely on the meter. Old parks have been hunted out for years. The reason people are still finding older coins is because they are listening for those deep targets. They will not sound the same as those 6" or less. Also you have to hunt much much slower. When I am in an area that I know has deep targets my swing speed is just a notch above stop. Very slow but I do find the deeper finds that others pass over. It takes time to learn to "hear" the signals. Trust your ears and not your meter.

Some of the YouTube video's are fake to feed someone elses ego. Planted coins and what not. Don't believe it. Silver being very counductive is easy to find and possibly most of it has been found by those older detectors or old guys. Hunt in the hard to hunt areas, like bushes as they might not have been there years ago. Dig the iffy signals too. Don't pay attention to any meter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions