parkinglot change

shanko

Dec 6, 2006
Anderson, In.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter pioneer 202
It seems like I've recently read some posts about people not wasting the time to bend over to pick up a penny if they came across one,and others about scooping up change found in the return slot of coinstar machines. This got me to thinking about myself wasting these sort of finds. I sell ice cream for a living, and service 10 to 14 grocery stores per work day. I have passed up much change in the past three years, but no longer!

This is what I've come across in just the last three weeks.

27 pennies
3 nickels
10 dimes ( 1 of them from canada)
1 quarter

So, one dollar and sixty-seven cents. Not to bad. I also recently found a sweet spot in my back yard w/the md. Lots of change from the 70's, various other objects, and some toy cars. I suppose the former owners of my house would sit in lawnchairs just off the porch and watch the kids play.just a guess.

S

snoopy38

Hi Shanko...I agree with exanimo, pick up all you find. My mom and I have made picking up change a game, and put all of our finds into one box. I know we must have at least $20 by now, only doing this for just a few months. She's 82 and I'm almost 60. Somedays, we only find 2-3 pennies, others we have found $2.00 or more. We've also found a silver cross, and lots of junk. And, we really haven't put much effort into it. We enjoy this game we play every time we go anywhere. This got thinking about MDing and how much fun we could have with it too. Now, if our old bodies will just hold out a little longer... Happy Hunting.

T

TreasureTales

Throughout my entire life I've been picking up things that other people lost or discarded. I've found all kinds of stuff just by eyeballing. Through the years I've found several tape measures, a few pliers, many screwdrivers, a small anvil, a $20.00 bill, many $1.00 bills, some jewelry, coins of various denominations (no dollar coins yet), toys, crystals, a cell phone, a canteen, wallets/purses (returned to the owners), pinback buttons, keys, pens, books, and numerous other types of things. I've been to ghost towns and dumps without a metal detector or a sifting screen and found interesting and somewhat valuable things right on the surface. One man's junk is another man's treasure is certainly true in my case.

If I had retained all the eyeballed coins I've picked up through the years, I'm quite sure I would be amazed at the total dollar amount. It really doesn't take long to find some worthwhile quantities if a person remembers to look for coins every time s/he leaves the house.

DirtyHowi

Oct 6, 2006
somewhere in the middle of nowhere iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 Thank You Santa :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way i look at it, at any given moment it dont amount to much of anything, but... Over the course of the past year, I have collected every penny, nickle, dime, quarter and paper (this year stunk for bills) i have run across on the ground in parking lots, the coinstar machine etc. I now have over 2 lbs of pre 82 copper pennys, and around 30 bucks in assorted clad, not much for anything old, couple of wheaties and a 53 quarter.. the rest is clad.

now that's 30 bucks i didnt start the year with, and cost me nothing more than bending over to pick it up. silly people who pass it buy, its all in all FREE money.

larrybass

Jan 12, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Amigo
Right On! Now this is the kind of post I like. The low-key stuff most people don't talk much about. As everyone here has already said, it ALL adds up and quick, to boot. How can you not like FREE MONEY! About a dozen years ago when my two kids were small, I taught them many of the fine points of "eyeballing" while we walked along the streets and parking lots. They learned fast, like most kids will if you give them encouragement, and in the first year they had both accumulated over ten bucks each. We made it a little bit of a competition, once they got onto it, like Snoopy and her mom, in one of the replys above. 8) I explained to them that they were also starting to learn how to earn their own money, just by being resourceful and keeping their eyes as sharp as a Hawk's. I'll never forget the looks of accomplishment on their little faces as they'd hold up a new found coin to show me how good their little eyes were gettin'.

I once fished three quarters, four dimes and two nickles out from under a Cold Drink machine with a yardstick, after seeing the very edge of one of the dimes in the dust up against the foot of the machine. ;D

Excercise - Free Money - Eye & hand co-ordination. How can ya beat that?

Keep scopein'

LarryB

digdug_rita

Sep 28, 2006
I am one of those people that is always scanning the area I am walking in...find all kids of things. Once in Walmart...while looking down, found a 14k gold rope chain with a 14k Playboy bunny pendant. Parking lot finds....last week a 10.00 bill at the post office, one time found a 14k chain with a 14k cross doctor's office parking lot. Once while on my way to the Grand Canyon, stopped to tinkle at service station, when I reached down to pull up my jeans ( sorry for the graphics) there at my feet was a 14k gold rope chain necklace and bracelet chained together...figured they fell out of pocket when someone pulled their pants down. So forth and so on...always look down. Oh yeah, one time at the supermarket parking lot I found a Rolex watch !!!!! but turned out to be fake, darn it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread