Parks?

BareBones

Aug 20, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Surf PI, Ace 250,Excal 1000,PI Dual Field, Sand Shark
Hi guys, I had a couple questions I was hoping some folks could chime in about their park experiences.

Since I have not had the time to make the drive over to the beach, I have been hitting some of the parks closer to home. I've mostly been covering the sanded playgrounds and getting clad and garbage; nothing new for any of you I'm sure.

But tonight I decided to drive to some of the older parks that I played in as a youngster and much to my dismay, I find the play areas with covered canopies and wood chips in the play area instead of sand and all new equipment. What's up with that? ??? Is it even worth my time to hunt these wood chip areas?

Second, I did two sanded volleyball courts and came up with a rusted bobby pin, bottle cap, coke can and a piece of wire. Is that normal? I mean I did not even find clad. >:( I thought sure I'd find some broken piece of gold jewelry; OK, I hoped I would find......

Only thing I got was some exercise which I'm sure we all need. :laughing7:

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Am a union carpenter and have been in the construction trade over a decade, along with owning a truck and 2 classic hot rods ,,, So you might say that a good portion of my life revolves around tools.
Snap-on is the real deal, sho nuff.

OP
OP
BareBones

BareBones

Aug 20, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
If I told you what I had, it would just sound like I was bragging so I won't go there.

For power tools I will say, I've always been a fan of Milwaukee and I've had a few die on me over the years as a contractor, so they all go tits up eventually. I've worked the trades in Electrical, Steel, Wood and Wrenched professionally in my younger days all before I went into civil service. I got back into doing a lot of it for hire a few years back before the economy took a header.

I had a Milwaukee heat gun that was way overpriced and all I used it for is heat shrinking wire insulation. I replaced it with a heat gun I got from HF probably close to 8 years ago and it's still going strong. I love it and it's yellow like Dewalt and not that horrid HF orange that most of their tools are. Best of all it was light on the wallet.

Would I recommend HF power tools to a professional user? Probably not unless it was something specialized for maybe a one time job. But they do offer a lifetime warranty on all their hand tools now. So if you live close to a retail store, it's something to consider.

Would I recommend them to the average home owner who might use it on one maybe two home projects in their life time, heck yes. It's not the best money can buy, but most of the time it's good enough to get the job done.

I've got some Snap-On, but I don't suffer from the disease like some people I know. I do have a small fortune in Craftsman Chrome and I shudder every time I hear Sears is in trouble. :o

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only used the HF Cen-Tech pinpointer and have bought 4 of them in under 2 years. Their quality takes the word shoddy to a new (low) level. Although I'm very careful with them, I had to repair 3 of them before each finally quit. The biggest problem is the switch. The wires break off without any rough handling. And you have to be very careful to keep moisture, dust or beach sand out of the switch or it becomes flaky. I now, immediately after purchase, tape a square of flexible plastic over the switch to seal it. That helps, but even the tiniest flexing of the switch housing under use will break the incredibly flimsy wires. The solder joints have been ok but the wires break right above them.

So the $60 I've spent for the 4 would have bought one better pinpointer (had I known in advance) but I really like using the Cen-Tech. I guess I'm now locked into "Cen-Tech Purgatory" :dontknow:

scrubber

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had right angle grinders, power drills & belt sanders from HF fly apart in days, hours even.
Bought a pack of carpenter pencils, don't know how they did it but they were designed so they wouldn't sharpen, almost like a gag trick for a carpenter.
Bought a breaker bar that snapped in half first nut I tried to crack.
Bought a grinding wheel that disintegrated upon contact with metal, very dangerous, so after that I swore them off.
I would not recommend them for dog toenail clippers [which they no doubt sell], though doubtless, if you like to gamble, you will on occasion find things that work well.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I got a fluke then, I got my pin pointer there an other than the on off button being in a odd spott it works fine , an I buy drill bits an stuff an have neverhad a problem yet with thier stuff.Besides I only paid $12 for it an figure if it dies I'm not gonna be out much or as mad as if I paid alot for it an it died.

Attachments

• 97245.gif
    97245.gif
    23.8 KB · Views: 248

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see your point Tank, I agree.
I make my living with tools, and I am willing to pay a price for premium quality ,,, And it is quite a price to pay.

I can't say everything I have ever got from there was complete junk.
I just used a tube flaring kit the other day I got from there, flared just fine.
Hmm what else, air tool accessories like blow nozzles & hoses, not bad.

OP
OP
BareBones

BareBones

Aug 20, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Guys if you get a chance check out my finds in the finds section.

I want to extend a BIG thank you to Tank for putting me on the wood chips! :hello2:

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: your very welcome BB glad I could help you out with a lil bit of advice , your knockin id dead out there , looks like some good finds so far an trust me you'll hit a goody here an there you just wont believe :icon_thumright: congrats on all the finds so far .

HH Tank :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread