All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Here in New York City hitting the parks requires a permit, and the permit has a limited list of the ones you can hunt at. I was looking at the Westchester County Parks site and it appears detecting is banned in their parks. I'd ask the county clerk or a local club.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
email the department of parks and recreation. they should be able to tell you. :)

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even with like school playgrounds, I mean its open to the public so kids dig around anyways..... or would I have to ask the school

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i dont know about where you live, but i have never asked to hunt at a public school and have never had any trouble. of course i only go when school is not in session and usually go early so i dont get in the kids way.

S

stefen

With the temperament of parents today, I would stress caution about hunting in any public park or school that is occupied with children, regardless of age.

Kids are curiously attracted by people with metal detectors and the last thing anyone needs is the accusatory finger of being a suspected pervert.

I do a lot of Public Works projects, many of which are schools and parks. Parents hackles go up when they see a stranger with a camera. So to avoid any objections, especially in a park atmosphere I approach a parent (s) in the vicinity of where I am gathering data...give them a business card and explain what I am doing. After a short chat, I gather the data needed and beat a trail out of there.

If your going to work a park, whatever you do don't have a bag of candy in your hand...and don't wear a trench coat. ;D

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get ur points...I live in a small town in NY and if I was to go to a school or something to hunt, it would probaly be on a weekend....The playgrounds are not very occupied when school is over, so im sure i would have a lot of chances to go

K

Kentucky Kache

With all the tragedies going on today in schools, I'd feel better about
asking first. Then everyone would know what you're doing there.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never hunt a school when it is in secession and weekends are even better. I once had the police descend on me at a state park because some woman called them about a homeless person walking around the park with a big knife. Two police cars showed up and guns weren't drawn, but I was told to drop the knife. Everyone but the woman had good laugh. My knife was a bayonet but couldn't cut anyone.

HH,
Sandman

Recruiter

Oct 13, 2006
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Interesting! I have never asked to MD parks since they are public places. I have heard kids ask what I was doing and their parents would tell them I was looking for money, treasure etc. Some will even watch to see what I find. As far as schools... weekends only since some kids play at the school when school is out for the day. But then again I do not live in a large city and that could make a difference.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in a smallish town, too, and I hunt where I will. Schools are off limits (as they should be) til the weekend or holidays, but I have never asked - nor been bothered. Actually, Ill take that back. Once, a very long time ago, a guy came out from the school and asked me what I was doing. I knew the principal - he put his attittude away when he heard this. But that is the ONLY time I have ever been confronted. Now, I just hit em on the off school days and never look up.

Parks are public access, for recreation of said public. The only consideration is if the municipality has restrictions, permitting, etc in place. So, learn the rules that will hurt you by calling the municipal code office in your jurisdiction. Simply ask, if there are rules about metal detecting, nothing more. Many towns have none and they usually just say, "Huh?"
As to parks hunting, if kids show up I talk to the parents if possible. If lots of people move in, I move on. If someone "official" confronts me, we talk it out - which has never happened. I always wave first and smile long before that. I also wear a Hi-Viz highway workers vest when at a park, so I look like I belong there.
But, to make it simple, here's what I suggest: Just go to it. Most people dont give a hoot, even the groundsmen, as a rule. On this one, play dumb, bud. Its easier to get forgiveness than permission.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never asked permission to detect city, county or state parks. Never experienced any problems from anyone. I asked permission from a couple schools a while back, no problem, just fill in the holes was what I was told.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
I agree with others, I only hunt schools on weekends and usually very early in the AM to avoid people. Most city/town parks are ok I just cover myself by making a phone call to be sure. NYS parks in my area require a permit and are only valid certain months. Always better to ask if you're not sure!!!!
Greg

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobby S said:
Im sure this question has been asked already, but I was wondering if u can just go to local parks and playgrounds without getting permission? Theres a couple around here I would like to go to, but i wasnt sure if I would have to ask around, or if i could just go.
be politically correct and don't ruin society better ask permission
(can you tell by the tone of my typing I'm being sarcastic)
dude your a kid be kid the worst they will do is tell you to beat feet
just keep a tidy hole and be polite all is well ;)

K

Kentucky Kache

Night Stalker said:
I have never asked permission to detect city, county or state parks. Never experienced any problems from anyone. I asked permission from a couple schools a while back, no problem, just fill in the holes was what I was told.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting
Kentucky State parks are a no no.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nearly all Federal land is Off Limits and state parks and historic sites often are, too. In these places it pays to call ahead.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread