Part-out success story!

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
I remember someone had a thread about parting things out. I have done this from time to time over the years with success. I often check the value of the parts before I sell an item. Last month I bought a 1980's tamiya monster beetle model kit remote control car. The thrift wanted 99.99. Seemed like a lot. I checked finished values on the kit and they sold between $200-300 for kits in this condition. Seemed like a good investment. When I finally got around to listing it, I checked parts values. Wow, they were high! So I parted it. Right now I am at $800 in parts sold. I still have about $150 still listed. Love this job!!

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I bet that the thread you are referring to about parting items out was mine.

WTG!!!! Great job!!!!

Keep up the great work, unless you start parting out the same stuff I do, then I want you to quit, LOL.

FWIW, the only danger in parting something out are the copycats. We were parting out a household item, and the copy cats have flooded that market, including a retail distributor of those parts. Prices have been driven down so far that it is almost not worth jacking with anymore.

OP
OP
vwayne1

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Clovis, I see what you mean. That can happen pretty easy. Most of the things I part out are fairly rare in the first place, so not much of a chance of others doing the same thing with the same item. Quite a while back, I parted out a 1970 honda trail 50. I paid $150. Going rate for one in this condition was about $600-800. I parted it out and got $1500. Those were the days!!

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Good job on the 50!!!

I tell ya, the household appliance that we were parting out, is almost worthless these days to part out.

We were selling one part for $22, and the competition has driven the price down to about $12. The main part of the appliance was a center shaft. I had no problem selling every one I could find for $16. Someone has one currently listed for $4.99 with free shipping.

Why anyone would sell a $16 part for $5, I'll never know...but that is what happens when people play the "I'm listing mine for a few bucks cheaper" game.

OP
OP
vwayne1

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
I agree. I won't play that game. I just relist At same price or higher and let it go on buy it now. It will sell eventually.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I've been parting out another item for the past few months, and have enjoyed great sales with very good profit margins.

While I can't believe that it has taken others this long to find what I'm doing, just this week, three other sellers have popped up. All three are now in a price war of who can sell it cheaper.

Someone has even listed items for $5, with free shipping. I know that shipping costs $2.50 on this item, plus ebay and paypal fees. My question to them would be, why bother??

I've had no problems selling the exact same thing for $13.99, and they have sold briskly at that price.

MT_Joe

Feb 22, 2013
Ferndale, Montana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for your post vwayne. I bought a microfilm machine/printer ten years ago on ebay and used the heck out of it for a few years, then it sat for the last 8. Just this morning I got curious about parting it out and found that some of the small parts are going for more than I paid for the whole thing ten years ago. It will be taken apart and sold real soon.

OP
OP
vwayne1

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Way to go on the printer. Great idea. I have reel to reels laying around. They have a little value but very heavy and I don't want to mess with seeing if they work. I'm going to check into all the parts for these two machines. Easier to handle and maybe more profitable. Let's hear more part out stories!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread