Partial banner stone?

revasius

Jan 14, 2017
North Granby, CT
Primary Interest:
Other
Good morning. I'm seeking assistance in identifying an item I found several years ago in the Calvert formation, MD. The team on the Fossil Forum are divided on an ID. Some believe it is a partial, very surf worn banner stone while others say it's a concretion. Due to the uniform hole drilled through the piece I'm leaning towards artifact. Any assistance will be appreciated.
Regards,
Rich IMG_3880.JPG IMG_3879.JPG

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a concretion, I see no signs of drilling.

November 20, 2017 A New Beginning!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't help out with the ID but Welcome to TNet, from Nick in Connecticut! :hello:

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't think it's for an Atlatl, but possibly the end for an ancient "Sling" for throwing stones. Appears to have had rope tied through it. Would have been at the end of the sling.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sling_(weapon)

Or possibly this....

"Whistling" bulletsEdit
Some bullets have been found with holes drilled in them. It was thought the holes were to contain poison..... the holes would cause the bullets to "whistle" in flight and the sound would intimidate opponents. The holed bullets were generally small and thus not particularly dangerous. Several could fit into a pouch and a single slinger could produce a terrorizing barrage. Experiments with modern replicas demonstrate they produce a whooshing sound in flight. [21]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread