Pasco County brokes

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
20191215_232423.jpg
Grubbing through the garage I found these brokes from my old Pasco County site.
These are classic Thonotosassa points. These were some of the first Florida points to
use heat treated stone. The broke on the right is a perfect example of heat treated Coral.
I have some of good ones I need to post but they are in a frame that is a pain to open and I'm lazy!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ghp95134

Sep 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How was heat treating done (okay ... with fire) ... but was the stone heated before knapping; or, was the final product heated?

If anyone can point (unintentional pun) me to an article, I’d appreciate it; have searched around the ‘net but came up empty-handed.

Thanks,
— Guy

OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They would heat the material first then knap it. I know nothing about knapping but several here do and can tell you the advantage of heat treating the stone.

Last edited:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stone was roughed out into a biface. Bifaces buried in sand 3 or 4 inches deep. Fire started on top. There is an art to doing this. Heat depends on amount of wind, type of wood. Fire burnt for 8 hrs or so. It then takes about 24 hrs for cool down. Dig 'em up and see if you did good or you blew the bifaces up with too much heat. Use what came out good. Flint should be "annealed" so it chips better, can have more color, and also more gloss. Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions