Passing of Neil Persinger - Adventurer

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Fred & Neil.jpg I feel compelled to share the passing of Neil Persinger, 10th SFG veteran and true "adventurer." Neil and I had been working together to follow up on his chase for emeralds in Ecuador. Often, what passes for adventurer or treasure hunter today is a cable TV caricature - not so with Neil. Among the threads of TNet can be found the story of Stewart Connelly's lost emerald deposit. During the 1970's Neil delved into Quito archives and led three expeditions into the jungle to search for Connelly's emeralds. In the process he found the legend's markers, primary documentation, and obtained emerald samples which challenged status quo. Due to sickness within the team and dwindling financial reserves he had to eventually cut his losses and return home to the US before finding the primary deposit. Despite opinions as to the truth of Connelly's legend, what Neil accomplished was significant both in fact and in terms of being the "real deal" when it comes to treasure hunting. He put his money and back into an adventure that the vast majority of us only dream about. In the photo taken in northern Ecuador, Neil is on the right. To the left is one of his team members, also former SF. I will never forget Neil and feel privileged to have known him.

Last edited:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
RIP Neil. A family member just returned from Ecuador. He was part of a group building a hospital
in the jungle near Quito. This is why I feel I can ask whether Neil's death was from environmental
disease acquired in Ecuador.

OP
OP
starsplitter

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Lastleg,
No, Neil died to natural causes which had nothing to do with his time in Ecuador.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions