ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A few years ago I was diving in a lake near Pontiac Michigan. It is called Cass lake. On the drop off there used to be wooden swim platforms held in place with 55 gallon barrels filled with cement. I used to go out there and really clean up silver and wheat's. One day alone 18 silver coins, a herd of 7 buffalo and a bunch of wheat cents. I was in 12' of water looking for more evidence of another swim platform when I came across this stuff so close together I knew it was from one person.

Was it a float tube that developed a hole and he ditched everything including his fins? Something we will never know. The park ranger assured me nobody drowned out there. The vest had small split shot in a pocket, flies on a small patch on the right side and a pair of nail clippers in a pocket.

Anybody else make a spooky find? I read the post of the girl in the window. That was strange also.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From a small boat / canoe etc flip.
IMO.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
somebody did something wrong :dontknow:

kebo (scnative)

Mar 7, 2015
Lexington, SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero; Tesoro Conquistador uMax; Teknetics Omega 8000, Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
Other
The ranger might be confident no one had drowned where that gear was found at, but that would be no one that they KNEW OF!!!

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have piranha in the area? :laughing7: I hear they can pick the bones clean and some even eat the bones...

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Never seen a golfer throw a club? Fishermen do the same thing, as long as nobody's looking.

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Do you have piranha in the area? :laughing7: I hear they can pick the bones clean and some even eat the bones...

No piranha in Michigan. Just my gold protecting attack cat.

Pull tab mcfoilson

Jan 26, 2016
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett At max
Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting find op. Yeah the story of the little girl stuck with me. Creepy stuff

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm with crappies...some poor soul lost the trophy fish again.one time too many.I bet he now is into lawn bowling.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No piranha in Michigan. Just my gold protecting attack cat.

Bull****.... I shot that cat when I left MI. in Jan. 94'. You ain't fooling me buddy.... But your right about no piranha... I'll give ya that!!!! :laughing7:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never seen a golfer throw a club? Fishermen do the same thing, as long as nobody's looking.

That reminded me of one of my fishing trips to a pay lake in a rural part of Oklahoma City. I was walking along the dam when a guy points at a rod and reel lying on the ground with the tip of the rod up in a forked stick and says " Hey, buddy. You can keep that if you say it's yours." It took me a moment to understand until I saw the game warden coming along checking fishing licenses:laughing7:

I wonder if Jimmy Hoffa was a fly fisherman:icon_scratch:

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is creepy. ha. quick question, what is the visibility like in the lakes? Do you use any sort of lighting?

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
That is creepy. ha. quick question, what is the visibility like in the lakes? Do you use any sort of lighting?

Really depends on what lake you are in. I have been in lakes cleaning up tons of clad with absolutely no visibility, not even half an inch. I have also been in lakes I could see 20 - 30 foot, and I have been in lakes I could see three foot at the max.

I learned to dive in Okinawa in the late 1970's. I got certified in 1980. You could see 150' in Okinawa with no problems. I take what I can get here and make the best of it.

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Not even a half inch? So you're just feeling around? That is cool. I need to learn to dive, I'm too old now for that tho.

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Wow! Not even a half inch? So you're just feeling around? That is cool. I need to learn to dive, I'm too old now for that tho.

Not exactly feeling around. I have been diving with my CZ-21 so much I know where the coil is and can scoop a target in the muck. I put everything in a mesh bag and let the muck flow out naturally. I don't squeeze the muck and so I rarely get cut with glass. I have though. After the target is out of the spot, I know it is in the bag and I keep detecting. It is a bit spooky, but I have found things nobody else will ever find.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Now and then there have been reports of piranha caught in inland Michigan lakes. They can grow quite fast in one summer. Being a tropical fish, one would think they'd expire when the waters cool. I used to keep piranha as pets, but never released them lol.

A five-pounder was caught in Muskegon lake in 1998.

Then there is the Pacu so, "watch your stones"

http://www.newser.com/story/190986/piranha-like-testicle-biter-caught-in-michigan.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread